Mini Drabble VIII: Debbie

"Stupid Alfred." Shelby cursed as she had to pick up her forked with her right hand. Being that the teen was ambidextrous, she did certain things with different hands. For writing and drawing, she used her right hand. For most other things, including eating, she used her left hand.

But Alfred had sprained her hand, and now it was immobilized with a splint and cast.

"This is what I get for hanging out with countries." She said out loud to herself as she lifted another bite of Mac & Cheese to her lips. "I bet you Canada's never accidentally sprained Hope's hand before. Why did I have to fall for America? Honestly." She scolded herself, letting the fork clatter into her half eaten meal as she let go, no longer hungry. She stood to leave when she saw something move in her peripheral vision.

It was a giant black spider.

First, she tripped over her chair when she tried to move before her brain could actually realize what was going on.

Then, she crawled forward, right into the door of her refrigerator.

Finally, she rolled out of the kitchen to safety.

She tried to catch her breath. Her hand was throbbing in pain but the tears in her eyes were not from the sprain; it was from her fear of spiders. She was extremely arachnophobic for a ever since and anything with eight legs scared the living daylights out of her. Even pictures of spiders scared her. She wouldn't touch a book page for fear it would bite her through the paper, and close ups of them made her hands tingle if she got too close.

One thing was for sure; there was no way she'd be able to kill that spider.

She scrambled up and ran to her phone, instantly pressing America's number out of habit, but hung up when she remembered she wasn't speaking to him. Dreamz was the next most recent number, since they had texted Shelby, threatening to enact on their so-called 'revenge', and Shelby clicked the number.

"... Shelby?"

"Dreamz-"

"What the Hell, Shelbs. It's, like, 5 in the morning here."

"Sorry but this is an emergency." Shelby urged. She peered into the kitchen, trying to find the spider.

"... Okay, what's wrong?" The American could tell Dreamz was straining to keep the irritated tone out of their voice.

"There's a giant spider in my kitchen."

"What in bloody Hell do you want me to do from half way around the world?"

"... I'm not sure. I wasn't actually thinking this through." Shelby admitted. She finally located the nasty beast as it began climbing up one of the walls.

She could hear Dreamz sigh from the other end. "I got someone who can help."

Shelby shivered as the spider continued up her kitchen wall. "Please hurry."

~~ Two hours later ~~

It would not be an exaggeration to state that Shelby had not taken her eyes off the spider once. She watched it make it way back and forth across her kitchen, create a spider web in the kitchen's ceiling fan, and groom it's fangs; it cleaned them right where Shelby could see it. It was mocking her. It could sense her fear. She knew it.

Finally, there was a loud pounding on her front door. It forced Shelby to tear her eyes away and go to the door, where she opened it carefully. Staring back at her was a pair of excitable green eyes, which belonged to a tanned face with a band-aid over the bridge of his nose.

"Good morning, Mrs. America! How may I be of service to you?" Jett chided, stepping into the house with his hands clasped behind his back.

Shelby rolled her eyes, but opted to look past his 'Mrs. America' comment, deciding that Australia would be more likely to help her if she didn't argue with him.

"There's a spider." She managed, walking slowly behind him. "It's in the kitchen."

"Aw, you girls are all the same with the eight-legged buggers." He laughed.

Shelby frowned. "Hey, don't demean and categorize all females because I'm arachnophobic, dude. That's not cool."

"Okay, okay, just show me to the little devil so I can execute him for trespassin' on your property."

Shelby led him to the kitchen, where she pointed timidly at the pale yellow wall; the spider's old-new location. The inch-large spider stuck out like a sore thumb.

Jett gasped, his eyes lighting up. "Debbie!" He exclaimed, jogging towards the spider.

Shelby's brows furrowed slightly. "Who the hell is Debbie?"

"My pet red back, mate! Isn't she a beauty?" Australia inquired, scooping the spider off the wall and setting it on his shoulder, beaming happily as it ventured a bit before finding a comfortable patch of cloth on the Aussie's shoulder, settling in.

Shelby felt like she might throw up. "That spider... Is yours?"

"That's what I just said, Mrs. Amer-"

Before Australia could get out the teasing nickname, the brunette yelled angrily, grabbing a pair of scissors and chucking it at the male. He managed to escape the opened blade, his eyes wide with surprise.

"What in the name of-"

"Get out of my house!" Shelby seethed, grabbing a butcher's knife from her mother's collection. "Get out!"

"Why so-"

"Get your hyperactive ass and your eight-legged monster OUT OF MY HOUSE BEFORE I KILL YOU!" Shelby screamed.

"You're batty, mate!" Jett exclaimed, taking off before Shelby could throw the stainless-steel knife. In four seconds flat, Australia and Debbie were gone.

Shelby shoulders relaxed, her skin itching as she glanced up at Debbie's web. The pain from her sprained hand was now coming to her full attention and she growled angrily, shoving the butcher's knife back into it's correct slot.

"I hate spiders. And Australia."