Victory

I could barely sleep with that bucket of money in the corner of my room. I gazed blankly at the ceiling, lost in my own thoughts. I didn't even remember the walk home, I felt like I was flying in the night sky. The moonlight danced on my arm that I laid under my head.

Red Bull took it home tonight.

Granted, I would have to give half of the shit to Auntie, but still, it felt way too amazing.

The thing about being a street boxer is the bragging rights are shown in the ring. My name will be circled around all night tonight. Your blood never pumps more than when you put your fist to some unlucky opponent's face.

Luca and Zoey slept soundly in their rooms, so I got up and went for food--immediately realizing we didn't have shit to eat.

"Shit," I mumbled, staring sadly into the fridge that stared sadly back at me.

I almost jumped out my underwear when there was a knock at the door. It was 3 in the freaking morning.

"Yeah who is--" As soon as I got to the door, Three sets of legs stampeded my living room, cheering and talking too fast for me to piece together what was happening.

"Yeaaah girll that's my bitchhh!" One of the bodies said.

"Nice fight, Mix," the other added.

"Glad you're not dead," the last one commented.

I felt a smile creep across my face as I realized who stood excitedly in front of me. Two bruised teenagers who looked like modern day mummies, and a jelly roll big guy who I love to death.

"You guys got out!" I cried a little too eager for my taste. They nodded in unison.

"I talked to the desk and convinced them and the nurses to let them go early," Monty began, "As long as they take their meds and don't get into any fights that'll pop their stitches."

"Man, fuck those meds. I'm tired of going on drug trips." Todd ruffled through his hair as he laid himself out on my couch, feeling satin instead of cold, rough cotton. He let out a sigh of relief.

"We brought you pizza and soda to celebrate!" Amy cheered, plopping next to Todd as she turned the Tv on as high as I could go. I would have slapped her if she wasn't already beat down.

"First off, turn that shit down, my brother and sister are sleep. Second, celebrate what?"

"Your win, picklehead. Against Fox?"

"How did you--"

"You really thought we would miss your return match? The internet is a wonderful thing." Monty's sarcasm was so blatant I couldn't help but laugh. "So, you're back in, how does it feel?"

"What do you mean 'how does it feel'? A-fucking-mazing, that's how it feels!" I gripped my fists together tightly, feeling the energy course through my body like I could fight 20 more rounds. "I can't wait for the next round. Red Bull is so taking home another 2k!"

"TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS ARE YOU SHITTING ME!?" Amy fell off of Todd and onto the floor, letting out a loud and hilarious groan of pain. She launched back up and shook me with all her available force, "What the holy fuck Mix, you're stinkin' rich!"

I chuckled, pouring myself a cup of soda as I sat on the stools of the dining room. "I'm not rich, I have to give half to my Aunt--"

"So?! That's still one thousand fucking dollars! "

"Can you guys keep it down?" A weak mumble uttered in annoyance. jolting my body in it's direction, Luca rubbed his tired eyes, "You guys are waking me up and I don't like-- is that pizza?"

Luca ran to the pizza box, stealing two slices swiftly and darting back into his room, where he locked the door. Todd laughed before any of us.

"So, when's your next round?" Amy questioned, glancing back at the clock on my wall. I shrugged.

"When I go back to school and talk to the kickboxing club, I'll let you know." I replied, after catching myself rub my own eyes.

"Okay then," Amy pulled Todd's good arm, helping him stand straight. They looked like a pair of wounded deer. They were cute together. Monty tapped my shoulder and smirked at me before he followed behind the other two in the hallway.

"I don't like that you're fighting again Mix," Monty sighed. I nodded, and he pulled me into a tight, blubbery embrace that I had no hope of getting out of. I laid my head on his shoulder, "but I see how happy this is making you, so I won't stop you. I want you to be careful. I love you kid."

"Love you too."

He waddled to the hallway entrance, glancing back at me one more time before he smiled to himself and shook his head.

"Congratulations."

As he closed the door, the silence that was broken had pieced itself back together and sat on my shoulders. I placed the pizza and soda in the fridge and wrote the words "Market tomorrow" on the dry erase board that was connected to the freezer. Slowly and steadily, I sleepily walked back to my room, and this time I would fall asleep.