Luca And Zoey

I walked through the neighborhood, letting my mind drift away into going home, where I could relax and not think about the annoying ass people that have the nerve to breathe my air. I think I proved myself able to fit in here well enough, but I'm still not sure I even want to. I sighed, walking up to my apartment complex. I felt like I had just had the hardest 16 hour shift at work, and I was about to get right back up and do it all over again the next day. Was it worth it? Already?

Ugh, I need to punch something.

The stairs gave a heavy metal clang with each step I took up to my apartment. My bag seemed to get lighter, and suddenly, I felt more at ease. I opened the door slowly, and the loudest yet most welcoming voice chanted my name.

"Mixie!" A small, skinny little brown puffball jumped jumped at my hips, clinging onto my sides. I couldn't help but smile.

"Okay, okay Luca, at least let me close the door." I pleaded, waddling inside the place with him standing on my shoes.

Luca is my little brother. He's 11, and yet, somehow, he has the matureness of a 16 year old, while still maintaining the child youth. He grew up raising himself, with the guidance of me of course. Whenever I was at a match or practicing on my own, he was right in the VIP seating. He never left my side, but it doesn't mean he can't hold his own. I've seen the kid fight before, a little Red Bull in his own right. Natural grey-born eyes, blackened hair as dark as night, and mocha skin that could coat a devil chocolate cake. He's my little brother, and I protect him with my life. The government doesn't know he exists, at least, not as he is. Before I moved, my uncle, a local leader of the underground, had papers sent out when we were about to move. Luca is dead to the government's eyes...He said it would keep former enemies from using him as leverage against me. To them, his name is Marcus Sean, my uncle's kid, taken from him for drug abuse. It was a smart plan. Luca knows about his false identity, and hides it well. We're all here for a new start— a new us, but the past travels slowly behind.

"Where have you been? You said you would be home an hour ago." Luca asked, still traveling on my heels. I sighed, throwing my bag to the side.

"Had a hard first day." I picked up my brother, carrying him on my shoulders as I walked around the apartment. Luca placed his hands on my head. "How was your day?"

"Great! Everyone at my school loves me, uh, Marcus. They love Marcus." He chuckled.

"Marcus is you." I brought him down to a stool, where we stared at each other equally.

"It's still taking some getting used to. I still slip up sometimes." He sighed, looking to the side, then jumping forward, to reassure me. "But I cover it up! All the time!" I smiled, rubbing his curly puffball hair.

"No bad people in middle school?" I asked, letting him know it was okay to mess up. He shook his head eagerly, jumping around the apartment. "Me and the boys of the classroom are good friends. We play boxed." He threw around a few light punches, turning back to me. I clapped.

" What about Zoey?"

"Zoey doesn't like the girls there. She says they're too bitchy."

"Luca."

"Snooty. Sorry."

Yeah, Luca curses. He gets it from me.

"Where is Zoey?" I asked, Luca stopped jumping around, and pointed to my bedroom.

Slowly, I followed his finger, walking up to the door to find her sleeping, soundly, in my bed.

"What's wrong with her?" I asked. Luca shrugged.

"She misses Ohi, I guess. I dunno." I nodded, bending down to Zoey's level, turning her over to face me. Slowly, carefully, her eyes opened to me, and she didn't change her face.

Zoey is Luca's twin, and his polar opposite. Everything that Luca is good at and happy about, Zoey sucks at, and vice versa. Something about her was always different, But not even she understands it. She never really stuck by my side like Luca did, she was more attached to my aunt, but my aunt said she'd be better off in my care than in Ohi to face the underground alone. She is dead in the government's eyes too. Her name is Rose, after our mother, except she's my aunt's daughter and not my uncle's.

"What are you doing here?" She mumbled, sitting up to me. I smirked, lightly pushing her shoulder.

"I live here." Luca ran into the room, yelling at Zoey. "Stop being mean to our big sister,Zo, just cause you had a bad day--"

"Don't be such a kiss ass." Zoey groaned. Yeah, Zoey curses too. Sorry.

"Box me, Zoey."

"Fine-" Zoey lept out of bed to get chest to chest with Luca, and I stopped them just at the drop of a dime, holding both of them up by the collar.

"Uh uh, we're a family. Family doesn't fight family. We fight for family."

"What kind of family doesn't have a mom or dad?" Zoey asked, staring blankly into my eye. Luca sighed, defeated, letting Zoey speak her mind.

"Let's go outside." I offered. Luca smiled, jumping down from my grip to go grab his sneakers. I sat Zoey down, placing my forehead against hers. She looked up at me, almost wanting to turn away. "We'll talk later." She nodded, and slid from the bed, slowly following behind Luca.

Welcome to my family.