Coma

" Keep it normal please," I shook my head. Jinx had the tendency to act like he was my older brother more often than he needed to, like he needed to protect me at all times and keep my hands from getting dirty. Back in Ohio, he would always step in with anyone who stepped up to me outside of the ring. He was my bodyguard, with a hotter and shorter temper than me.

That's fucking saying something.

"Relax, Moxie," He chuckled to himself, placing his hands in his pocket in casual defeat.

I remembered that nickname--Moxie. Only he called me that, he didn't like "Mixie". He would always hold my shoulder while he trained me after I was sweaty and angry from the outside life. he would always say the same thing after he looked at me and shook his head with a chuckle: "You know, you got moxie kid," and it just so happened to be my last name. It ended up sticking. I kind of liked it.

We stepped up to the school building, and I was slapped with a serious dread to go inside. Momma never raised no bitch, but the school seemed... darker than it was the last time I was there. The building seemed 60 feet taller, towering over us like it was about to open its jaws like a pumpkin's mouth and swallow us, trapping us inside forever. I hadn't noticed the discoloration of the building, usually brimming with fall colors of brown and orange, promoting the Bears and the disgusting peppiness of the building. I felt way too uneasy, but I led Jinx inside anyway.

We were met with students walking mindlessly back and forth, some of them with the saddest faces I've seen yet, others attempting not to look in any direction other than straight. In the corner by the water fountain where couples usually swallow each other's faces, two girls were crying on a guy's shoulders while he rubbed their backs. Even the Principal sat blank-faced in his office to be seen through the glass pane that attempted to cover him up.

"What's going on, Mix?" Jinx questioned, surveying the area as he was sure to stay right at my hip.

"I don't know," I answered, making sure I wasn't dreaming. We trudged along cautiously, trying to cut through the deadly silence of the hall, but as soon as someone caught a glimpse of me, the whole hall stopped. They stared at me from all angles, surrounding us in a circle like formation. "What the fuck?"

"Mixie," One of the girls called out, breaking through the circle with her hand laid carefully on her chest, "Do you know what's going on?"

"Obviously not," I replied, "And I don't think I want to." I grasped Jinx's hand, yanking him straight ahead to the kickboxing club, ducking and dodging any teacher or hall monitor that might stop us. I had almost forgotten why we came.

I opened the rusty door to the same comforting sounds of grunts and slaps against sack bags and skin falling against wrestling pads. They all turned to me simultaneously before smiling and waving at me.

"Hey Mixie!" They all cheered together, Jinx raised his eyebrow, searching the room for some sort of cake or present based on their excitement to see me.

"Guys," I started, "Where's Cloudy?" The guys pointed to the corner room, the office, where Cloudy sat with his leg perched up against the desk as he stared forward intently. I motioned for Jinx to stay put, maybe even to make friends, and made my way to the office. "Cloudy," I called. He didn't answer. He kept his eyes on the tournament board, analyzing the players like they were targets. His eyes jutted back and forth, but his body sat there like it was frozen. "CHAD!"

"Huh?!" He jolted out of his chair, knocking it over and falling against the floor with a crack. I shook my head.

"Do you know what's going on upstairs?"

"Huh? Oh yeah, the students are crying cause they're scared for their lives,"

"Why?"

"Because of what you did to Jack," Cloudy shrugged, his eyes laid with disinterest.

"Explain please," I rushed, impatiently. I wasn't with all this beating around the bush bullshit.

"You don't know what you did to him?" Cloudy's face went from disinterested to confused as fuck.

"Not really, I tune out everything when I get mad and my body moves on its own."

"Is that why they call you Red Bull?"

"All I see is Red."

Jinx stepped into the room, laughing hard as he dapped up one of his new friends before he turned back and noticed Cloudy. He stood over him before Cloudy reached his hand out and dapped him up too.

"Jinx," He introduced.

"Cloudy," He returned.

"So... What the fuck is going on?" I broke through, standing with my hands on my hips, letting my curls fall to the front of my body. Jinx rotated glances from me to Cloudy before he joined my side. Cloudy sighed, bending down and scattering papers off his desk until he found a photograph printed out in blurred color. I bit my lip. A message scribbled in red marker across the photo:

Watch what happens now that you've crossed the line.

Cloudy handed the photo to me, turning to pick up his chair and plop back inside it as Jinx and I analyzed what I did.

"You put Jack in a coma."