Lies

We stayed in Monty's office for what felt like hours, and the only thing I could do was think.

What would happen if I didn't show up to that ring tonight?

What would happen if I did?

Everyone ran through my mind. Monty would yell at me like he usually did, which I honestly didn't give a fuck about anymore. Amy would be concerned for my health--I bit my lip. Todd... I think he wants me dead anyway... his only concern is Amy. Jinx--well, Jinx is going to do what Jinx does.

So far I didn't see a downside.

"I think the coast is clear, you guys," Monty announced after watching the sunset blanket the sky and patrons exited the door, signaling closing time. Amy and Todd cleaned the lounge area and began to stack chairs. Monty waddled back to his seat, "Do you need me to drive you home, Mix?"

"Nah," I sighed, "We're fine." I tugged at Jinx's hand and he nodded, waving as the door closed, and I heard that disappointed wheezing sigh that I've come to ignore. Amy met us at the door.

"Hey, is everything okay?" She asked, placing her hands gently on my arm. I nodded quickly, telling her that I'd meet up with her later, hurrying along before I could give her time to analyze it. Just as we got to the door, Monty called me one more time.

"Mix!" He stated, causing me to turn around and groan in my head, "You're not going anywhere tonight are you...?"

Amy, Todd, and Monty stood in a huddle as they waited for my answer. The sun's orange glow caked them in it's light, reminding me once more that these were people I cared about...

And I was about to lie to their face.

"No, I'm just going to make sure Luca and Zoey got home from school alright and go to bed," I answered. Monty placed his hand on his chest in relief, and Amy's eyes lit up.

"I could bring UNO! We could play for the night, it's been so long since we got to chill together," She suggested.

"Not tonight, Amy, maybe tomorrow," And before they could answer, I rotated on the ball of my foot and launched myself out the door. My steps were fast and steady until I dragged Jinx into the block's alleyway and pushed him against the wall. A shocked and confused expression caked his face until he realized what my eyes were telling him, and he gave that same sly smirk.

"You lied, didn't you?" He chuckled, balling his fists until I released his wrists. I nodded.

"You're always good at reading my eyes," I admitted.

"I don't see how I couldn't read them," He smiled, "So, what are we doing instead?"

"I need to get into the ring tonight. My reputation is at stake," I explained.

"How do we get in?" I told Jinx the same route that Amy had explained to me, and his face scrunched into excitement just at the thought of watching me fight tonight. He nodded eagerly, waiting for us to just run to my room and grab my gear. I snickered at him, and we snuck our way back to my apartment just in case there were spies that I didn't see.

...

"Mixie!" Luca called out, running full speed into my chest. I think he popped my boob.

"Hey, are you okay?" I asked, picking him up and walking him over to the couch.  He laughed and called Zoey out of her room, who ran straight for Jinx as soon as she caught a glimpse of his curly afro.

"Hey, ZoZo," He called her, hugging her while he spun them both in dizzying circles. She giggled the whole way. She was like his daughter, and Luca was like my son.

"Are you staying here tonight?" Luca asked, giving me those irrefutable puppy dog eyes. My heart burned a little, but I nodded anyway. He ran to his room, grabbing his toys and other things that he wanted to play with me since school started and hadn't had the chance to. Jinx gave me a glance that I couldn't return, because we both knew what I just did.

...

As night fell, Luca and Zoey continued to play in the living room and I used the opportunity to pack my things in that same duffel bag. I dusted my gloves off, pulled my sports bra off out of the wardrobe and through the rest of my outfit in the bag.

"Mixie?" Luca called at the door, rubbing his eyes with Zoey not too far behind him. Somehow, I managed to toss the bag into the wardrobe before they opened the door.

"Yeah?"

"Can we lay with you and Jinx tonight?" I exchanged looks with Jinx, who shrugged and continued to update his Snap. I sighed, signaling a yes to them. They sprawled onto the bed, Zoey pancaking Jinx and Luca sandwiching me before I could lay down comfortably. They were too cute, and I couldn't help smiling as I watched them go to sleep, and watched Jinx rub Zoey's back while he scrolled through his phone in sync with her calm breathing. I almost got lost in the moment.

And then I realized it was 11:30.