Catching Up

Everyone glared at me like I was meat. I was in art class again, just like the first day of school. 

Except this time people glared at me for a different reason.

"Yo, Mix!" Khan called out from the same section of the room, the corner front by the window. I forgot all about him, but there he was with the same nerdy glasses, chocolate skin, and dreadlocks, chilling with his feet perched on the chair of another student in front of him who was clearly annoyed with the situation. 

"Hello again, Mixian," The teacher called, driving my attention to him, "It's been a while since you've been in my class, let me get your paperwork that you've missed." As soon as he dipped, I was surrounded by 32 students who wanted to bombard me with questions, seemed to be the norm in this fucking school. 

"Mix, Are you ready to fight Jack?" Somebody asked.

"Bitch are you stupid? She's a boxer, of course, she is," Somebody else replied. I laughed at that one. 

I answered their questions for what felt like hours until the teach slapped a paper stack the size of the empire state on me. I guess this is what happens when you skip out on school for two months. 

He perked his glasses further up the bridge of his nose, "You have a month to complete all of your work okay? Let me know if you need a tutor or need to stay after school." 

Not happening, dickhead. I'll pay somebody to do the shit. 

Finally, I was allowed to sit in peace next to Khan so we could catch up. It had been such a long time since I had first seen him. 

"So, Mix, you's the baddest chick in Jersey now. You's on top of Triss," He said, flipping through his sketchbook, "How's it feel to have everybody on your non-existent titties?" 

"Annoying," I started, "Wait... what did you just say?" My knuckles twitched, and I punched him in the arm reflexively, and he winced in pain. "Anyway, I'd rather just be low with it and get through school and work but my life doesn't work that way."

"You're right there, what are you gonna do with all that homework?"

"Pay you to do it."

"Wha? Hell to the fuck no--"

"How's two hundred sound?"

"Like I'll have it done next week." 

As time ticked away in that class, everything felt normal. The class acted like I wasn't there after I answered their questions and the teacher went on about the art of acting just like I remembered him doing it the first time. Except, when the bell rang, all that normalcy shit flew out the window.

I was getting up to leave when the teach stopped me and made me stand in the center of the room.

"So, as you all know already, Mixian has a fight with Jockboy later today. As I don't condone fighting, none of you will speak of this in my classroom," He turned to me with his hand placed firmly on his hip, leaning onto his desk with his other hand, "But today I'll make an exception. Kick that wannabe hard privileged dick's ass, Mix. For all of us!" The entire class cheered, going into a frenzy as they discussed how I would win. 

"I bet $20 right now that Mix kicks his balls off!"

"I see your $20 and bet $10 that Jack gets a hit on her." 

"No fucking way are you joking? Mixie can put his ass down in two minutes!" 

"I'll give her 5 minutes." 

"Shut the fuck up!" I cried out, finally hearing enough to make my ears ring. This fucking school was insane, what the fuck type teacher lets people bet on a fight? "Look, show up to the rec at 3 and you'll see what happens... god dammit you animals."  I facepalmed, walking out the room before they could auction me off like a piece of meat.

...

"Auntie.." I hid in the janitor's closet. Is that weird? It was oddly roomy. 

"Yes, baby girl?" Auntie's voice calmed my nerves, even if it was just on the phone.

"Did you get the money I sent you?"

"Yes, thank you so much Mix, what's going on?"

"I'm going to have to fight later, people are hyping that shit up like it's a dogfight." 

Auntie laughed, "Well, who is it?"

"Jack, Triss' brother." 

"Jack and Triss Black? Oh lord." Auntie let out a deep sigh, then paused. I knew what that meant. She saw a money opportunity. 

"Oh no." 

"Mix, that's great publicity for you! Let the people bet, let them record, just don't beat the boy to a pulp." She laughed at herself again, "Or maybe you should, get rid of that pretty boy face of his." 

"You're no help, Auntie." I was surrounded by bad influences. How the hell was I supposed to reform in this school? I hung up the phone, slid down the door of the Janitor's closet, placed my hand on my head and just gave up. Fine. 

3 pm.