Jinx

He stood over me, watching my facial expressions contort into all senses of confusion. How did he find me, why was he here, why did he look like that?

"How--"

"Did I find you? I always knew where you were, Mix. We're drawn to each other," Jinx sat next to me, slowly taking my hand and putting it to his left half of his. He made my hand wipe his face, and slowly I watched the makeup slide away, revealing his familiar and rather comfortable toffee skin. "I was waiting for you to realize who I was."

"Well," I chuckled defeatedly, "You always were good at disguises, and terrible at disguise names."

"I think you're just getting soft," He teased, placing his hands firmly on his knees, watching my every move, analyzing my thoughts. "Do you remember when we were 13, and we matched just up until you got soft and I clocked you on your chin?"

"Yeah, I remember. I bit through my tongue with that one,"

"Why does that only happen around me?"

I felt my throat clog. Jinx stood tall against the cell wall, the moonlight eclipsed by his body. A dark shadow cast across his face, just barely showing his glowing hazel eyes. "Anyway, I came here from Oahu to tell you about someone named Max," He sighed. I scoffed.

"I've already had the pleasure."

"Hm?" He stopped, confused and yet not at the same moment, "I'm assuming you fought with him too?"

"No," I answered, "I watched him burn his gang mate alive, fucking scorched him with no second thought."

"Damn," Jinx sighed, glancing over to the officer who drifted slowly to sleep, "Max's gang is rivaling with mine right now,"

"You have a gang?" I questioned, startled slightly. Jinx hated gangbanging back in the day, so why all of a sudden was he so into it now, let alone the damn leader?

"I wouldn't call it that. They follow me because we all want to see Max's violent influence on other states decrease," He explained.

"The hell do you mean? What influence do you mean? I thought Triss and Jack were the multi platformers controlling the states."

"There's a lot you don't know, Mix," Jinx sat next to me again, this time quiet enough to hear the sway of the trees outside. His breathing, soft and light like feathers, was enough to ease and stress me out in the same instant. "When I left Ohi, When I went back to Oahu, I learned a lot about the people you're dealing with. These people run lines deep into the ground. Ties everywhere, deals at every corner, bonds formed with bloody hands," Jinx's eyes wouldn't break that wide glance at the floor, traumatized by past information. He bit his lip before his hand rested on my knee, "Triss' mom, Veronica Black, is a heavy influence on the boxing underground. She can weave and tie fighters together with money in a snap. There are people who claim to be friends, watching each other's moves from state to state, ready to snitch on them in a heartbeat for some extra cash."

"That's fucking awful," I mumbled in frustration, clenching my fists until my nails dug into my palm. He continued,

"Their dad, Arnold Black, believes in them so much that he hired Max to protect them. Back when Max was a nobody, he was hired to be Triss' bodyguard and Jack's lackey, but his obsession with Triss made him blind to everything but her, and Jack isn't that stupid that he let that go unmanipulated. Max is so hellbound to protect Triss that all Jack has to say is that Triss was blinked at and Max will be willing to commit genocide," Jinx explained angrily, holding his hair and ruffling through it.

"Jinx," I spoke carefully. I had never seen him so shaken. "What happened...?"

"Triss," He started, " Triss makes people disappear, Mix. She made My men disappear when one of them didn't give her a Louie belt. Three of them, gone with no trace. Max to cover up her tracks, and Veronica to cover up his. They're a perfect fucking storm and I couldn't make it into the eye of the hurricane... I couldn't save them..."

"Jinx, you came here for a reason," I broke his tear jerked speech, as continuing on would have broken him, I knew it. He was right, he brought the soft spot out of me. "What did you come here for?"

"Right... he said slowly, "Triss is fed up with you... Your name spread all the way to Oahu after that victory with Fox. Triss believes you're stealing her "hard" earned reputation, and she wants it back."

"So..."

We sat in silence for what felt like hours. The darkness shrouded the inside of my mind. These people that I'm dealing with... months ago, I would have never expected that an annoying high school asshole and prissy bitch would be one of the members of an underground boxing cartel... least of all in some sweet ass place like Jersey, where cops fight their urges to hit people and you can walk around at 12 am without the fear of getting strolled.

"Jack hired Max and his gang to come after you."

Jinx's sentence flipped a switch off in my mind. My first thought was about Amy Todd, Luca and Zoey... and how much I needed to put them out of harm's way as soon as possible.

"They want to kill you, Mixian."