Inevitable

"What's going on?" Auntie's eyes dug into mine as she took my arm and walked me into my room where things were more private.

"Your uncle and I hit a snare in out money." 

"What happened?" 

"Some things came up and some banks have been unreliable in keeping our funds safe." 

"That's fucked up, we can't get that money back?" Auntie shook her head. 

"So what does that mean?" I asked, lowering my head a little and trying to assume the best. 

No such fucking luck.

"We need you to box again, Mix." Auntie took my hand in hers, holding my hair with her other hand. "Just until enough money is made to be financially stable. We can't afford to keep sending you to that school if you don't." 

"Then I'll drop out!" I heard myself yell. Auntie raised an eyebrow, letting me know that that was the stupidest thing I've ever uttered. 

"Your mother or father were never for that. And what sort of an image would that portray to your brother and sister?"

"An image that sometimes you have to sacrifice for more important matters."

"Mixian Moxelle." She slumped onto my bed, sighing deeply. I know I'm stubborn... she knows it too. I don't like seeing her frustrated. I plopped down next to her, and she clasped her hand onto my thigh.

"Auntie, I haven't even been here for a month and I've made enemies and hurt some people that I really considered my friends. Monty has been trying to get through to me and I just wouldn't listen." She looked up at me with concern in her almond eyes. "I haven't been to school. I haven't even looked at homework. Red Bull has been nothing but a burden here, Auntie. It was in Ohi too." 

Auntie placed her arm around my shoulder. "Red Bull is who you are," I glanced down at my fists, examining the masculinity in my knuckles and marks from bandages tied too tight. The history of everyone I fought seeped into my fingertips. Auntie sighed slowly. "Those fists are who you are. Mix, you are someone who sacrifices, who fights." We connected foreheads and Auntie bit her lip. "We need you." 

"...Alright." I breathed one heavy sigh of defeat. Auntie could always get through to me. 

"I'll fight." She stroked my hair as she stood up and walked towards my closet. She pulled out a medium sized package and sat it inside the closet, not saying a word to me. She walked steadily out my room. All I could hear was the clicking of her heels. Luca and Zoey whined as she was about to leave, and as she coddled them, I went to retrieve the package. 

Her cursive writing was etched onto the rosy pink bow that she wrapped the box in. 

If you are reading this... we need Red Bull more than ever. You know about the underground, even New Jersey has boxers that will fight for money. In this box are your gloves, shorts, and sports bras. We bought an underground phone and brought your hoodie. There are also pictures of us, Luca and Zoey, you in all your gear, and your parents. Mix... show them what happens when you fuck with Red Bull. 

Auntie

So much red rested in the box. My black and red gloves, still coated with my pre-game perfume feisty, and she put that in the box too. Red shorts with "Bull" stitched into the ass sat patiently below my gloves. The hoodie that I would attach to my red sports bras to keep my identity hidden never looked like it missed me more. A small sense of happiness filled my head just looking at these things. 

The photos Auntie put in the box were grainy and blurry images of my whole family. Auntie and Uncle's happy faces as they walked together hand in hand, Uncle with shit tons of money sprawled throughout the bed, Auntie looking steamy in a sultry blue skintight dress, Luca and Zoey when they were little and smiling with each other, Me with my boxing gear on as my back was turned to the camera... and... 

Mom and Dad's wedding. 

They kissed each other so sweetly, so tenderly, while all of us cheered and threw our items in the air around them. The picture showed our blurry faces of happiness as we all gathered together in white with them... That was the last picture I had of them.

I stood up and glanced at myself in the mirror, and all of a sudden, I recognized the image. I recognized the anger in my face as my body was shrouded in red. The shadow cast of the hoodie clouded my eyes. Auntie's words echoed through my head. 

We need you. 

It's inevitable. Red Bull will enter the streets again.