Partnership

As I climbed up the stairs to my apartment, Luca's laugh filled the hallway. Two sets of footsteps thundered over my head like a damn stampede. Why was no one watching these two little devils?

"MARCUS! ROSE!"

The footsteps jumped to a halt. I smirked at the fact that they knew they fucked up.

"GET IN THE FUCKING HOUSE!" They ran like hell down the hallway, panicked mumbles following their steps until I heard the door creak open and slam shut. I shook my head as I reached the top of the stairs, finally opening the door to Luca and Zoey faking sleep on the apartment couch, their little chests rising and falling as they breathed heavily. I could tell they were running.

"Cut the shit you bullshitters," I rolled my eyes as I joked, removing my jacket and pulling my curls into an unmanaged ponytail. I pulled ingredients from the fridge and spread them on the counter: flour, milk, and chocolate chips.
"Where's Auntie and Jinx?"

"They went out a while ago after they saw you left," Zoey answered, giving up the fake sleep act to Luca's dislike. He sat up soon after her and face palmed.

"They left? For what?" Almost directly after I asked, the door opened for the two of them. They walked in with grocery bags and happy conversations. Auntie laughed as Jinx saw me first, and walked over to me before kissing my forehead.

"Hey, you're back," he started, smiling while he plopped the bags onto the counter.

"Don't hey me," I commanded with joking aggression, "where'd you go?"

"I could ask you the same thing," he responded, taking the remaining bags from Auntie, "Woke up and you weren't wrapped inside my arms."

"Maybe I got tired of sleeping with you,"

"Oh? That's never happened before,"
I gave him the best bitch face I could, but my faces never fazed him. He winked at me and called Auntie to the kitchen. I heard her graceful footsteps until she sat on a kitchen stool that squeaked when she put her butt down.

"Chocolate chip pancakes?" She asked. I nodded happily. Family favorite.

Jinx began pulling groceries from the bag and putting them away around me. Auntie glanced over at the kids who were occupying themselves with the TV before she and Jinx nodded and she began to talk. "So, Mix,"

"Yeah?"

"There's a lot we need to discuss,"

I shook my head while I poured pancake mix onto the pan, "Isn't there always?"

"Yes," Jinx chimed in, "but this stuff is important for all of us."

"You need to stay out of the underground for a while," 

"What?" I almost dropped the damn pancake. "For fucking what?"

"Because you losing piped Max's head up, and it's not safe. You're not ready yet."

"Fuck allat! I am ready!"

"Mix, he cracked your rib. Even with a newbie if they hit that spot they can win. You need to heal before you go back down there," Jinx pleaded, rubbing my waist where I was bandaged. It was sore, but his touch soothed it slightly like some weird spell tailored to his touch. "You still got money from that match even though you lost. We could use it to get you healed up quicker."

"Speaking of money," Auntie chimed in as she checked her nails as long as the damn Nile River, "The money you gave me was enough. I invested it to get the business up and running again, and get police in Ohio off my ass," 

"Business?" I cut in. She raised her eyebrow at me. 

"If I told you, sweetie, I'd have to kill you, and I love you, so I won't." I exchanged looks with Jinx, and he shook his head in agreement that it's better that I don't know. 

She continued as she grabbed syrup for the pancakes that I handed her and passed them to the kids, "Just know that it's a better version of what the Blacks are. Anyway, Jinx and I decided to partner up." 

Jinx nodded again. I stared at the both of them with my arms crossed. Jinx raised his hands, "Hear us out. In order to stop Max, we need to stop Triss, and in order to stop Triss, we have to deal with Veronica and Arnold."

"What does that have to do with Auntie?" 

"My business hasn't been able to take over the companies that the Blacked Inc. owns, and Jinx's gang can't operate with the Dragons being able to do anything they want anywhere,"

"So," Jinx continued on, " My Eagles are going to work with Auntie and you. When you get back into the underground, they'll be in the crowd to protect you and gain intel. I plan on working with the Wolves too."

My brain hurt, but I continued to listen. 

"We're not saying you can't cause trouble sweetie. In fact, we need you to, but we need you to do it when you're at full strength."

"So I'm going to train you," Jinx smiled at me and got close, pulling my curls into his hand as he looked into my eyes, "again." 

The information replayed in my mind, as the smell of warm pancakes encased my nose. Red Bull gets to do what she wants? Sounds like a good time to me. 

"Alright, I'm in." 

Auntie smiled, "Good, now eat up and shower with your stank ass," She bit into a pancake before retreating to the living room, "Chad invited us to his gang's funeral."