Ride or Die

Todd wouldn't even look at me, and I couldn't bring myself to speak. Heavyhearted, frustrated, and not willing to stick around, I could feel my feet slide out the door and toward the elevator. 

"Mix?" I heard from the opposite side of the hallway. I turned my head, still heading for the door, where Monty waddled behind me. "Where are you going? Amy hasn't gotten out --"

"Fuck it." I interrupted, reaching for the elevator button. Monty reached for my hand, but I jerked and instinctively roundhouse kicked him away from me. I landed him in his stomach, but all it did was throw him off balance a little bit.  

"What's your problem?" Monty asked defensively. I crossed my arms and turned to the side, not willing to look at him. Not willing to look at anybody. 

"Dammit Monty Todd just turned against me too! I can't fucking protect anybody. This is just like fucking Mom and Dad." I heard myself say. My body twitched. Monty put his hands on his round hips and shook his head. 

"You really have changed, Mixian." He sighed. 

"What do you even mean?"

"You're running away now that things are getting tough? This isn't the Red Bull I know."

"Shut up with that already." 

"Really." Monty walked in front of me and guided me away from the elevator. "Amy is in critical condition because she was with you."

"Yeah, shit I fucking know that." I hissed. Monty shook his head again.

"Listen." He urged. "Not because she had to be, not because she was forced. Amy was with you because she considers you her friend." He explained. I could feel myself fidget. Monty lifted my chin and pressed his forehead gently against mine, Like when I was little and I lost matches. It was what he did to reassure me. 

"I don't care if you leave." He started. "I don't care if you turn away from here and never look back. But if you just walk out, and Amy dies, then you're her killer, and that'll be on you.  If you walk out of here and she lives, then you're no friend at all. " Monty sighed, backing away from me and slowly turning away from the elevator, walking back to the chair in the middle of the hallway. There was an eerie silence that filled the air, like the hospital silenced itself to weigh down harder on me. 

"Like I said, it's your choice." "He began again. I balled my fist, turning away and reaching to press the elevator button before Monty said four words that burned in my mind. 

"Friends don't leave friends." 

I freezed, like a spell was cast on me and magically told me to stop. My finger shook, before it dropped to my side. 

He was fucking right.

Slowly, reluctantly, I turned, and walked behind him. My eyes glanced to the OR, and back to Monty. As he sat, he caught me looking, and tilted his head as if to say, go look for yourself.

My feet shifted, walking closer and closer to that stupid room. If Amy didn't make it, would it really all be on me? Would it really be my fault, just cause she was with me? 

I peeked into the window, expecting to see blood splattered across the table and Doctors crying in each other's arms. I expected to see Amy sprawled out on the table dead and cut open--but I didn't.  

The room was a polished and shiny grey. The Doctors were clapping, removing the blood stained gloves from their fingers. They barely had blood on their robes. Interns, or what I'm guessing are them, were clapping too. Amy was laid out, with the anesthetic mask across her face, sleeping. She was breathing. There was hardly any blood. In the time it  took me to  walk through the hallway and back,  they successfully did the surgery. 

I turned slowly, deeply, plopping my head against the wall, sighing in relief. Monty watched me do so. 

"Well?" He asked. I placed my hands around my knees and let my body slide to the floor. 

The God damn girl was alive.