Threat

Silence blanketed the whole room. Our bodies were frozen still, Monty's mouth was wide open but he couldn't say a word... like his voice was ripped from his throat. Beads of sweat trickled down his face and Jinx tried to gulp down the lump in his throat. I didn't know that voice... it was too dark to be Max's and too masculine to be Triss', and Jack is dead... so who the fuck...

"Hello... am I talking to a fucking wall?"

Monty's voice cracked, between staring at me like a deer in headlights and borderline slamming the phone back on the table, the man's voice waited for a response. I couldn't take it anymore, so I bumped Monty out the way and took the phone.

"Well I guess if she isn't—"

"Yeah I'm here. What?"

The man's voice stopped abruptly, sort of taken aback at the fact that I would come forward, but I'm not no bitch.

"Mixian Moxelle,  do you know who I am?" I looked around, reading Monty and Jinx's face. They nodded quickly, meaning that I either had to lie or shut up.

"Yeah, I know who you are, why are you calling Monty? He don't have shit to do with us," Tension sat in the air like a looming cloud, and I could feel my hands shaking the phone, even though I wasn't scared.

"You killed my son, young child. His funeral was beautiful, fit for a king. I have a right to be angry you know, but I'm here to calmly have a word with you,"

"Yeah, about what?"

"About this underground reputation that you've been building up since you came here,"

"You've got the wrong—"

"I grow tired of your attempt to play ignorant." Deep down, his words vibrated my core. I let him talk, my teeth as comfortable as the sound of scissors. "You're the only female fighter in New Jersey against a state of men. You know better than to lie to people of wealth."

"So what are you getting at then, huh? What's the point of calling if all you're gonna do is lecture me?" The man let out a menacing chuckle for what felt like an eternity before he spoke again, this time with an anger in his tone that made me put the phone on the table before I dropped it.

"I'm going to say this once. Quit now while you're ahead, girly. My daughter is tired of you and frankly, so am I."

Amy and Todd came back into the room now, their faces plastered with concern and fear for the situation. I held my hand out to them, letting them know that keeping calm is the best thing to do for everyone. I was already on edge and ready to swing on somebody.

"Oh," he continued like he forgot to get on my last nerve, "Make sure you keep your loved ones very close to you,"

"What the fuck does that mean?" An eerie ring filled the room while all of us were left stuck in time. He hung up on me, without another word. "The hell?? Who does he think he—"

"Mixie..." Monty broke through finally, his hands outstretched to me before he cautiously took the phone from me, "Do you know who that was...?"

Jinx pulled me to him and shook his head at Monty, attempting one last time to keep this man a mystery to me. I pushed myself away, looking back and forth between them with my face scrunched in confusion. There's something they weren't telling me.

"..Who?"

"That man on the phone..." Monty started, his eyes wide and stuck on the table like he was making direct eye contact with the guy. "He.."

"Just say it Mont," I prodded. Jinx shook his head before he put his hand to his face and finished Monty's sentence,

"That man is Arnold Black, and now he knows about you."