Luca

Hearing the wind whistle by my ear almost made me come back to reality, but it didn't. Auntie would most likely be at the hospital by now, but I couldn't think about it, I didn't want to.

Just one more Mix! There you go, sis!

His voice seemed to almost be vibrating in my ear, almost like his sound plugged the world away like serene earphones. As I ran ahead of Jinx, Cloudy, and Amy, their voices fading away in the recesses of my mind, an image pieced itself together in my head, feeling so real that it blocked my view and took me to the past.

Back when Luca would watch me train, when Zoey wasn't around as much, and when Jinx was always busy since he fought too.

"Just one more!"

I panted as I punched the bag to the ground, popping the grain out of it with unnecessary force. Luca clapped as he threw the water bottle to me and scooped the grain back into the bag.

"How'd I do?" I questioned, my hands on my hips as I leaned over him. He was so small back then, with delighted button eyes that reflected light like crystals, and clean up-kept kinky curls that sat in a hightop fade above his head. His smile was contagious in his little 7 year old body.

"You dropped your left hand!" He surveyed, his little finger perched on top of his lip while he looked me up and down, "Maybe a form like this?" He dropped to a guard that made me laugh so uncontrollably, his arms were everywhere, and his legs left him wide open. I pulled him into a hug before picking him up. As he pulled away from me, he twirled one of my curls in his finger.

"Mix?"

"Yeah lil' dude?"

"Do you think you could teach me how to box one day?"

I felt so warm inside to hear him say that. To see the determination on his optimistic little face, and the overall glow that surrounded him as he asked me. I felt so honored.

I nodded.

"MIXIE!"

A car honked hard, just grazing my body by a hairs width. I snapped back into the present, my heart beating to the tempo of my footsteps. I lost my sanity. Jinx caught up to me, breathing hard as he pulled me out the street. We were just outside the hospital now, and we convened outside.

"What the fuck! You almost got hit!" Jinx yelled, shaking me lightly until my eyes met his. He must have seen the desperation in them, because all I cared about right now was my fucking brother.

I didn't give a damn about my own life if it meant he loses his.

"Mixie," Cloudy cut in, taking my hand in his and looking back at Amy, who hadn't looked up from the ground since the event.

"Are you ready for this?"

"I need to see him, Jinx." I answered quickly, shoving him to the side with mama-bear aggression and rushing to the reception desk.

It was the same lady from when Amy and Todd were here. She recognized me immediately, ready to type as I got closer. "Name?"

"Marcus Sean," I answered huffily. Each click of the keyboard ticked away at my nerves, and my fingers tapped anxiously along the desk.

"He's in the ER," she answered slowly.

Emergency room? For what?!

My hands slammed hard against the desk, making the woman jump back in fear against her chair. Jinx and Cloudy grabbed my arms. Spit flew from my mouth. I was yelling so loud I felt my throat vibrate.

"WHERE'S MY BROTHER?! WHERE?! IS HE OKAY?!"

"MIXIE!!"

"FUCKING TELL ME!"

The whole lobby grew deathly still, every patient waiting treatment feared me, from old people to tiny kids. I was a bomb with a flaming fuse, and I was ready to take it out on anyone who gave me the wrong answer.

Just as I was losing control, Auntie stepped out the elevator slowly, holding silent Zoey's hand tightly in hers. I stopped in my tracks, frozen stiff while we made eye contact. My mouth hung open. We made eye contact, and in my Auntie's shining eyes, a single tear fell from it.

My fist flew into the wall as tears streamed down my face in parades. Jinx's sniffles hit my ear, and Cloudy's jaw fell open.

You could cut the silence in that room with a dagger.

In the back of my head, all I heard was the response to that memory that burned away my soul:

Yeah, lil dude, I'll teach you to box one day.