Scorpion

My confidence was boosted, my adrenaline pumping, cameras flashing and money flying. The announcer raised his hand before leaning it to the right into the darkness and putting the mic to his lips again.

"ANNNDD IN THIS CORNER, THE CONTENDER WITH THE DEADLY OVERHAND DRIVE, THEEEE ONE AND ONNLLYYY..."

Suddenly, it felt like my gloves weighed an extra 27 pounds each. I was fighting two battles— a physical, and a mental battle of stability.

The fighter stepped slowly out of the shadows, with a golden honey ensemble and black trims along his waist. His mask covered his entire face, with slight slits along his eyes just barely giving him enough room to see. I exhaled, feeling a lump in my throat that I could just barely swallow.

"SCORPIOOOONNNNNN!"

The crowd ate him up, letting me know that they weren't completely loyal to only me. I cracked my head, unable to read his body language. He stood still, motionless, and tall, looming over my 5'8 body with his 6'3.

That's the thing about fighting unprofessionally, the "matches" don't match the fuck up. But I'm not no bitch.

"FIGHTERS, TAP YOUR GLOVES!"

I stuck my hand out, wordlessly, waiting for him to do the same. He glanced at my hand before looking back up at me and getting into stance in one smooth motion. The crowd OOO'd at this disrespect. Oh? So we're fighting wordless huh? Just how I like it.

No bullshit, just punches.

I put up my guard letting my nerves crank up to max to the point where my fingertips tingled. I needed to win this by a long shot to get my name back up where I want it.

The announcer bounced off the ring, and after everything blurred away—

Ding!

I watched him. He moved slow, rotating around his left foot as I circled him. Most likely, he was waiting for me to charge his ass so he could trap me and land a hit. I thought instantly about his name.

Scorpions are defensive, holding back until prey is right in front of them to jab them and induce venom.

Using my range, I aimed at his stomach, landing a cross at his side that made him slightly stumble, but get right back up.

My mans was a rock. Either that, or my punches were weaker.

I glanced up, and his mask shimmered in the light before he swooped his fist down and I ducked onto the mat, just barely missing his fist fly across my cheek. Not only was he immovable, he was swift.

"RELAX YOURSELF RED!" I heard Jinx scream. He's right. I was panicking, so focused on a fucking comeback that I stopped paying attention to actually winning.

Scorpion inched closer now, his fists high at his face as he guarded himself. Flashes of cameras and phones made his body flicker in gold and black shadows. In a split second, I noticed his weak point— his center.

I would have to open him up to get a good hit. He made a jab, and I stood still, letting it land right at my stomach. The air left my lungs.

"OH my God..." someone in the crowd gasped, their hands on their mouth in fear for me. His punch hit like an actual scorpion sting, sending my body into a singing pain at my core, but I pretended it didn't faze me to throw him off.

He hesitated, and I landed an uppercut just above his pelvis that sent him back. As he bent over, I hit him with a combination to his face that lifted his mask just enough to expose his cheek. My muscles pulsed, throbbing with adrenaline with every satisfying smack against his body. The crowd roared on my side now that I had the upper hand, and I was getting so into it.

I started seeing faces again, just like at the tournament room with that stupid fucking dummy. Triss' face, Max's—

Mine.

That emaciated and weak figure that kept trying to hold me down, kept trying to break the spirit it took years to grow. I growled under my breath.

My hoodie bounced as I used two crosses in quick succession. Scorpion threw his guard up quick, knocking me back until he could get on his feet and charge me. I barely dodged in time, seeing reality again as his honey gold glove was right in front of me. I slipped out the way, canceling my left fist with his right and pushing him off of me to get off the ropes.

Sweat beaded down my forehead. As he knocked back and staggered, I knew my punches were growing back to their old strength. I smirked.

And then Luca's face appeared on his mask.

Smiling, laughing and happy.

I stood frozen.

Before I knew it, Scorpion's trademark overhand drive connected with my face, sending me flying back into the ropes and landing on the floor, motionless. I nearly blacked out.

The announcer put his lips to the microphone again, counting to ten in what felt like hours.

"1,2,3..."

My eyes wouldn't open. My arms shook violently, and my hands were clenches in a fist with no hope of relaxing. I heard Scorpion's feet shuffle towards me.

"4,5,6..."

The crowd cut their cheers, completely silent as they watched in horror. I heard Jinx's breath quicken.

"7,8.."

Was this really what I've become? Some PTSD victim doomed to forever be burdened with the death of my brother? My blood boiled, and just as I opened my eyes, Jinx and Cloudy screamed together:

"GET MAD, MIXIE!"

I launched myself up quicker than a rocket exits the atmosphere, staring straight at Scorpion's glove with my fist behind me. Anger took over my body, my fist, my mind. Fuck being weak! Fuck being a damsel in fucking distress! Do they know who the fuck I am?!

My fist flew into his mask, cracking it from the center to the edges. He flew back, holding his face with his hands. I stepped against the edge, letting my momentum carry me into the air. I felt like I was flying, walking along the air with my fist above my head.

"RRRRRAAGH!" With the strongest punch I think I've ever done, Scorpion's gloves dropped, and I slammed into his cheek, knocking him out cold as he flopped back onto the mat in defeat. I landed steadily back on the mat and stood over his unconscious body.

"YYYYEAAAHHHHHH!!!!"