Truth

Amy's eyes nearly popped out her socket, but all I could do was shake my head with my hands on my hips.

"You have to let the world know your truth, Mixie." Monty advised. Staring into his eyes as he squeezed my hand as gently as he could muster, he smiled. The feeling hit me harder than an anchor, of guilt, anger, and content at my past. I nodded.

"Do it at the Underground final!" Amy's words echoed through my mind. The face I made at her let her know I heard and comprehended what I said, and she hopped on my hesitation.
"It's perfect! No one's going to listen to you with Triss' ass wide open against you, but down there all they care about are the fighters!" I had to admit, the girl was smarter than I could ever hope to be. Smiling at her, I nodded.

Then it hit me.

"Max isn't the leader anymore.... who am I fighting in the championship?" Jinx's eyes blinked larger than a light bulb. Even Monty scratched his head.

Jinx placed his hand carefully on the small of my back, his lips just shy of my earlobe, "best to get in the Red Bull fit so we can see for ourselves," I nodded.

...

My nerves were as painful as daggers surging through my body. Jinx was somewhere in the other room, completely unaware of how badly I was questioning and judging myself in the bathroom mirror. My Red Bull fit did nothing but stare back at me, menacingly.

How are they gonna act now that they know some of my story?

Are people going to even go?

Is anyone gonna bet on me?

Fuck.

"Mixian, I swear to god if you're shitting in there..." his voice sounded so childlike and immature, a heavy roll of the eyes was my answer.

I called back out to him, "so what if I was? You gonna come in here and take me off the toilet?"

"No, Ima come in there with Febreeze and the Lord and Savior,"

A chuckle escaped. Even with all my stress, he still made it disappear in moments with complete and utter ease. Shaking the jokes aside, I met with my reflection one last time.

I didn't recognize this new me. This methodical, experienced war-torn Mixian. Microscopic Scars naked to the ignorant eye marked my face from gloves that came too close, my boxing trunks slightly faded from constant washes, with the trim slightly loosening at my hip. The veins in my arms struggled to stay hidden behind my skin. I met my own eyes and read my soul.

"You've been through so much shit," I found myself talking, "It ends tonight. Right here, right now." My pupils dilated, almost like I was answering myself.

Jinx's voice called me out my trance once more, "Yo!" He yelled from the living room, "Mixian Slow-Ass-Fuck Moxelle, let's go!"

When I took too long to leave the bathroom, Jinx burst through the door and picked me up by the waist, carrying my kicking and flailing body out the door and down the steps.

...

"That's weird," Jinx yanked at the wooden planks to the underground tunnel, but they wouldn't open, like someone sealed and bolted them to the wall. There was no getting in or out of that shit now. So where was everyone?

Suddenly, footsteps stampeded down the stairs of the train station, jolting us to the sound. As we turned, the whole crowd from the tournament plus some had flooded the station, surrounding us completely in a flood of high schoolers who wanted to know about Triss' announcement. They all talked at once, overloading my senses and causing me to fall to the floor covering my ears.

MIXIE IS WHAT TRISS SAID TRUE MIXIE DID YOU REALLY KILL YOUR PARENTS MIXIE HOW COULD YOU DO THAT TO YOUR OWN FAMILY MIXIE WHO SENT YOU HERE OR DID YOU RUN AWAY MIXIE WHAT KIND OF BOXER ARE YOU MIXIE DID YOU PAY YOUR WAY OUT OF JAIL MIXIE ARE YOU A CRIMINAL MIXIE—

"ENOUGH!" My scream roared through the tunnels, deading the crowd as my echo ricocheted in the distance. Panting, I scanned everyone's faces—frightened pale— just like the first day I got to SMH.

I sighed, parting through the crowd and standing atop a wiggly metal station bench. My mouth spoke to the crowd, but my eyes never left their connection with Jinx's, "If you want to know the fucking truth so bad, if you really think I'm the bad guy..."

Their faces went from fright to a trance like curiosity. I sighed, exhaling through my nose with my eyes closed.

"I'll tell you all who killed my parents."

Jinx rubbed his arm awkwardly. I sighed.

"Jinx's Mom."