Shadow

We carefully moved out from under the two and slithered out the bed, yanking our bags and tiptoeing to the door.

"Are you sure you want to do this? Once we leave there's no turning back," Jinx reminded, standing sturdy in front of the door until I sighed and opened my mouth.

"...Move Jinx damn," I commanded. He sighed, patted my head and stepped out the way. Tossing our bags on our shoulder, we ran like hell out the building as I guided him to the train station.

"It's after 10, so there shouldn't be any trains, we can make our way straight into the underground," I explained.

"Wait," Jinx stopped me, grabbing my arm urgently, "Your outfit, Mix, you gotta get into the Red Bull fit!" He proceeded to drag me into a shadowy area where no one would see. He was right, and soon I found myself undressing in front of him as he pulled together my outfit from the bag and handed it to me. I don't know if it was just our connection or I was in a rush, but I was too fucking comfortable now that I think about it.

"Are you hyped?" he asked, fitting my red bra to my sweaty body. I nodded, slapping my hands together hard and biting my lip, a sort of menacing grin plastered on my face.

"Fuck yeah, I forgot who I'm going against, but I have a lot of pent-up stress to punch on a bitch who steps to me."

Just as I pulled my hood up, a deafening roar of the crowd far from us caught our attention. Jinx quickly looked at me, and we both took off in that direction. It seems they started without us.

Panting, we caught up to the commotion.

"What the hell, who is--"

"Jinx..." I stopped him, my eyes fixed on the source of the crowd's endless screams and cheers. Money flew all over the air directed at the ring like they were worshipping the fighters. The lights flashed around the ring, welcoming the first fighter, and that same funny looking announcer raised his microphone to the crowd, encouraging their almost trance-like enthusiasm.

"AUDIENCE, ARE YOU READY FOR OUR FIRST FIGHT OF THE NIGHT?!"

the crowd bounced us around like we were paper, roaring maddeningly as the announcer guided their attention to the right side of the ring, welcoming the challenger.

"STEPPING INTO THE TOURNAMENT FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER, OUR NEW CANDIDATE, THEE GRIMMMMM REAAAAAPERRRR!"

The Grim Reaper wobbled his way out of the side of the ride, clearly traumatized by everything going on around him at the moment. I couldn't help but wonder why he was here, skinny and easily frazzled by the screams the crowd directed at him. he panicked when the announcer turned in the other direction, his knees nearly buckling when the ring's ropes jumped to the same pattern as his heartbeat. he was shook.

I almost felt bad for him.

"ARE YOU READY FOR YOUR CHAMPION?!"

"They're bringing the champion out already? Wouldn't they save him for last?" Jinx thought out loud, putting his arm on my shoulder. I shook my head.

"It's not the same as Ohi, it's randomized here until enough people get eliminated that they can form a roster." I couldn't keep my eyes off the ring, off that kid. Everything seemed to move in slow motion.

"IN OUR LEFT CORNER, OUR BELOVED LAST YEAR'S CHAMP AND KILLER WHO'S READY TO BRING IT HOME AGAIN, SHADOWWWWWW!"

He stepped slowly, like every footstep would shake the entire tunnel. His arms stood stationary at his side, wrapped and held tightly in tape. His gloves glistened with fresh sweat, complimented perfectly by his jet black hoodie and shorts. The darkness covered his face, but I knew exactly who it was as soon as he put his guard up.

I remembered the poster. I remembered Cloudy.

"Jinx," I called, gripping his arm hard until he broke his trance from the ring. He raised his eyebrows at me, "we need to do something,"

"Why?"

"We need to!" I prodded. Jinx still didn't seem convinced at my urgency. he put his arms over mine and waited for me to continue. By the time I opened my lips, the crowd jumped out of their shoes to the echo of the bell. I jerked around, my eyes too wide for words.

If I didn't do something, that kid was gonna die.