Todd's Motive

"What is happening?!" I panicked, shoving nurses against the walls as they all crowded around Amy. 

"Miss, please move!" They urged me, pulling me back towards the outside of the room door. "We have to prep her for surgery!" Amy stopped moving, the beep ringing through my ears from the monitor. It was still flat-lining. 

"Mix, come on!  They need to fix Amy!" Monty urged. I was in a blind state of mind. I couldn't think. I know me moving would have eased all of the trouble, but Amy was dying, right in front of me. 

Monty picked me up, carrying me out of the room, holding me as the nurses whisked Amy into the OR, calling for a doctor. Blood dripped from her mouth. I don't even remember what I was yelling and muttering. 

"MIxie, you have to relax--" 

"SHE'S FUCKING DYING YOU EXPECT ME TO RELAX AMY!" I cried over and over again, trying to launch myself from Monty's grasp and run over to her, but he kept his big arms wrapped around my waist, holding me down. 

...

The wait was excruciating. Monty kept his arm around me, but I kept my hands on my head. My feet bounced against the floor, anxious, waiting. 

"I can't handle this." I finally sighed, getting up and walking into the room with Todd. He was sitting up, oxygen mask to his mouth, searching for answers just as much as I was. 

"Is she okay...?" He sighed, panting with every breath. I shook my head, taking his hand in mine. 

"I feel... like it's..." 

"It's not your fault." I interrupted. Todd let his head fall back, and paused for a minute. He slowly looked up at me, except this time, his eyes weren't as welcoming. 

"You're... right... it's.." He started. Somehow, I knew what he was going to say before he finished. He pushed my hand away from his.

"Yours." He finished. 

"Todd, I didn't know what would happen-"

"If we didn't have to save your blood rage ass..." He paused to cough. "We wouldn't have had to worry ... about Amy ... cause we wouldn't have gotten... jumped in the first place." 

"Todd.. I already feel bad enough.." A huge lump clumped up in my throat. Todd wasn't feeling any sympathy in his voice. The burns on his arms seemed to have seeped into his heart. He blamed it all on me. 

"Good.. that... wasn't okay. We're all.. targets now.. because of you..." Todd sighed, not even looking at me now. 

"I didn't think fighting Triss would end up like this!" I raised my voice defensively, making the bruises on my own body ache. Todd clenched his fists. 

"For fuck's sake...Mixian..." He coughed again. " Get over yourself..." 

For once, I didn't have a comeback.

"There are more people to think about now... You have friends that would die for you..." He leaned up, grunting as he placed himself in an upright position. He held his side, panting lightly. "But that doesn't mean we should have to.." I couldn't bring myself to look at him directly. He glanced at his arms, feeling  the burns. "You've done your damage... to me.. but if Amy dies for your bullshit..." He closed his eyes, tightly, before staring daggers into my eyes. His voice got extremely low. 

"You can add me to the list of people coming after you."