Missing

JINX POV SHIFT

We searched the whole town, and there was no sign of her. Not one text to any of us other than the one she sent me. My brain went into overdrive.

Did she really mean it? What did I do? What didn't I do? What could I have done?

I fell along the pavement, giving up and slapping my hands against my head. The sun fully disappeared now, and I was on the verge of tears.

Fight me if you think I'm a bitch for losing my friend. Fuck you.

"I can't take this shit," I mumbled, my eyes darting against the street, seeing images and shadows so distant they almost looked like silhouettes of Mix. Her image kept flowing in and out of my mind. Her caramel browned skin, and the way it complimented and contrasted her unruly jet black curls in just the perfect way. Her short stature and slightly muscled body and beautiful almond browned eyes that were so earthy and mysterious... and how could I forget— that snowy white smile that hid behind peach lips that she would rarely show— unless I provoked it.

I slammed my fist into the tree beside me, trying to focus my frustration on something else. My fist tingled and rattled with stinging pain, but I ignored it. Beside me, Amy and Chad collapsed onto the pavement too.

"I can't believe this," Amy mumbled under her breath, hiding behind her arms as she lightly panted.

"What do we do now?" Cloudy asked, confusion and uncertainty cloaking his throat. I sighed. After a brief pause, my only answer was to laugh. Their faces contorted in confusion.

"Fuck is so funny?" Amy asked as her nose wrinkled.

"Don't you think it's crazy that we literally act like we have no purpose without her?"

They paused, and as I watched the whites of their eyes expose I shook my head and bit my lip. A tear fought to escape my eye and I wouldn't allow it.

"For years, you know. For years I've always been by her side. I've been at the mercy of her beck and call. I've been her friend and her punching bag. This is nothing to me," I let my head slump to the ground. The vibrant hum of crickets synchronized around us in our silence. "But you guys have known her for what, a couple months? Yet you're in the same spot as me."

Cloudy huffed, "Is it a damn competition? We don't have to know her for long to care about her, Jinx,"

"No, that's not—"

"Mixie changed my life," Amy cut in quick like a knife, "When I met her, even though she didn't like me... my life became so much better. I wasn't bored or even lonely. And yes I had Todd..." she paused after realizing she said his name. She swallowed, "I had someone to talk to, someone to run to... someone to live with."

"Amy I'm sorry,"

"Mixie is more to me than a Wolf. Her confidence told me to get mine up. Her determination, her drive, and her personality are addictive."

"You can say that again," We stopped to chuckle. In the pit of my stomach, I felt the words I wanted to say get lodged back into my body. I checked my phone again.

"It's crazy." Amy stood up and stretched before reaching her hand out to both of us and pulling us up. She walked on down the street.

"Where are you going?" Cloudy asked as she turned her head and yelled.

"I'm not gonna just sit on my ass and wait for nothing! I'm going to find her!"

I can't lie, life was boring without the favorite hothead. The scenery was too quiet and peaceful without having to shoot, punch or attack anyone. Maybe I just got used to a life of badass crime, but this shit is definitely wack.

"So we're gonna search the whole god damned continent?!" Cloudy cried out. His voice echoed down the street. Amy threw her thumb up, her figure now far out of view and about 12 streetlights away.

"I love her, so yes!" I shook my head. Amy had balls, even we couldn't deny.

We shook our heads together and spoke softly before realizing what the fuck we both said and jerking our heads to each other just as we finished,

"I love her too,"

God damn it.