Holding

" Fuck you mean I have to stay here?! You just told me if I tell you what I did then I would be let go!" I screamed, wiggling in my cuffs towards her. I watched her step back. Jacob put an arm to my shoulder and Monty stood in front of the lady. They both knew I could get out of these cuffs if I wanted to. 

"That," She started, putting my file back in the safe, " was before you told me who you hurt." 

"A big dickhead with no hands for fighting," I answered. Monty fought to hold back a smirk. 

"Listen," She walked up really close to me, about a hair's width away, "If it was anyone but Jack, we would have let you go as promised. But, the Black family own this department and can fire any of us in a heartbeat if we let someone who hurt their child walk Scott free. " Every head in the room lowered. What kind of people are these guys? It seemed like they owned everything in Jersey at this point, or had a big hand in it. 

I sighed, I wasn't doing shit else with my time anyway. 

"Fine," I gave in, "How long?"

"We'll give you 24 hours as a warning." She offered. I shrugged. 

As she walked away to sign some paperwork, the dude who arrested me walked quickly back to his patrol car before he was assigned another mission to fulfill. Monty pulled us to the side.

"Are you sure you're okay with staying here, Mix?" He asked with worry in his voice. Jacob scanned the both of us and stepped in. 

"I'll stay with you." 

"What?"

"I'll stay with you, make sure they don't try to keep you for longer than 24 hours." Jacob gave that same mysterious smile, that one that I still am unsure about. 

"Excuse me, who are--"

"Okay," I cut Monty off, nodding to Jacob. He held my handcuffs and walked with me inside the cell. Monty watched sadly and confused as we closed the doors. He was probably wondering just as much who Jacob was as I was. 

"Cozy cell," Jacob mentioned as Monty had slowly left the department. A rather hefty police officer locked the cell door. I fiddled with my cuffs, but I couldn't break my stare with Jacob. Something about his face. His jawline, his smile, the faint color of honey brown in his hair that had a slight curl that he seemed to have tried to straighten and failed. His posture, how he held his hands just over his knees, and how his feet stood proudly on the floor, unbothered by how casually he leaned over. He must have caught me staring. "Are you okay?" He broke my focus. 

"Huh? I-I'm cold," I answered quickly, trying to break my contact but it was too late. He smirked. 

"You never change," He chuckled. 

"Huh?"

"You were always bad at showing affection," Jacob got up and walked around the cell, synchronizing his footsteps with the tick of the clock. Officers left slowly to their patrol cars one by one. "It's a shame you lost sight of who you were." 

My mind buzzed. How did he know so much about me and I knew nothing of him? 

"Who.. are you?" My eyes lowered, trying to read his face for something, anything. I couldn't find it. 

I couldn't fucking read him. 

"Let's just say I'm someone who knows your ins and outs, ups and downs, and crosswalks," He explained, leaning against the wall of the cell as he stared daggers into my eyes. The department had started to close, and the officer on night watch turned the lights off. he leaned in his chair, his flashlight at the ready. I watched Jacob's silhouette carefully.

"What do you want?" I surveyed. Jacob chuckled in a dark, cautious tone. 

"I want to protect you," He answered.

"It damn sure isn't adding up to be that way."

"Oh really?" He twirled a bobby pin in the moonlight and held it between his fingers. "Tug on your handcuffs,"

Carefully, I pulled in opposite directions, and just like a switch, the cuffs hit the floor with a clang. Silence befell the room, and suddenly I knew exactly who I was talking to, and his name wasn't Jacob. 

"...Jinx?"

"Hi, Mixie."