Preparation

Amy sleepily sat up, putting a hand to her chest while Monty held the other. Her hair was ragged, as if she'd done nothing to keep it up except sleeping on it. Todd wiped away his tears and sniffled himself back into order. I wonder how much of that she heard, if she had heard anything. When Amy settled  herself and she tiredly opened her eyes to look at us, I could see where the tube  had been put in her throat so she could breathe. Her chest was wrapped in bandages, making her look like a punk-rock-mummy.

I mustered a smile, "You look cool."

"Oh.. yeah, mummified teenager survives near-death. Totally metal..." Her words were raspy, as I could understand, but at least she could get her words out. I don't know what I would have done if her vocal cords had been damaged. Monty brought a small giggle upon himself, ruffling through Amy's hair. 

"Good to have you back, kid." 

"Good to be back. How long was I out...?" 

"Three weeks. They did surgery on your chest," I explained. She nodded as she rubbed her eyes and felt her now healing wound, sighing lightly before she put on a smile for Todd, who was fighting another set of tears. 

"So, when can we leave?" She asked, glancing out the hospital window. 

"You should be able to leave now if you feel well enough to walk. I'll go ask the nurse." Monty darted out of the room, towards  the operating desk. I placed my hand at the ends of Todd and Amy's beds, and let the relief absorb me in its grasp.

My friends are okay. 

"I came here to tell you something," I started. Amy stared at me with all the attention she had. Todd couldn't help but break his concentration every now and then to catch a glimpse of her naturally happy face. "I'm going to fight again."

"Red Bull is back?" 

"For the time being." 

"Who are you fighting?"

"There's an underground tournament that starts tonight. Someone named "Fox". I just gotta find wherever the fuck the shit is at." I flipped my hair behind my back as I thought out loud. My hair had gotten unruly with its curls recently, but I didn't mind. Amy cracked up, putting her hand on mine.

"There's a subway station Southeast of here that has a discontinued tunnel entrance that construction closed off," Amy explained, reaching for her phone. After a couple blips, she had sent me the coordinates. "Wait until the trains operate in longer sessions, then sneak through the wooden barricade to get through. That's where all of the tournaments are." 

Part of me wondered how Amy had known all of this, until I remembered that she use to date one of the ex fighters. The one that I killed. 

I gave her a light hug, the first one I've voluntarily given a friend in at least a year. 

"Thanks Amy, hopefully we can go to my next match together." She nodded, glancing over to Todd who had nodded as well. 

....

These fucking trains kept coming. 

The subway was oddly polished. Trash had been scooped and placed into bins all over. People sat in un-graffiti-ed seats and patiently sat waiting for their trip. It was too orderly. 

I scanned for the tunnel with my duffel  bag slung over my left shoulder. I found it. In the second train tunnel, on the side of the most active train, was the unfinished tunnel that Amy spoke about. 

I sat there until around 10 at night, ignoring the people that gave me dirty looks as they attempted to get on their trains. I didn't give a fuck. I was almost anxious.

What would this place look like? I knew in Ohi, the boxing matches looked almost like a concert would. Maybe since it was a tunnel, the match would be in the center and all the people would be around it? What would "Fox" look like? 

Should I let all of Red Bull loose?

Time sped past me. In the distance, I could hear rowdy screams and shouts. I guess that was my cue. The trains came slower and slower, and I quickly ducked past the stairwell to change. 

I didn't even need to prepare. Everything in me was ready for this. 

Checking for any last observers, I ducked to the side of the Tunnel. I saw the lights creeping around the corner, quickly pulling the train into view. I had to hurry the fuck up. 

oh shit oh shit oh shit

I slid to the wooden barrier, trying to pull the wood away to crawl in, but it was bolted with the nails of Jesus fucking Christ. The whir of the train grew louder, and suddenly the light creeps up my leg. Just in time, the wood rips away and I throw myself inside the tunnel, feeling the wind of the train blow past me. 

I caught my breath, lifting myself up to the dark brown tunnel. All the graffiti was here, glowing different colors and guarded by dim lights. The roars and cheers were deafening, even at the entrance. Who knows how loud they would be when I got there. 

My nerves jumped rapidly in my fingers. My legs grew twitchy. I was too excited. 

I needed no preparation. Here I come, Fox.