Chapter Eight- Light in the Darkness

Elizabeth

On this here rare day off I was setting aside time for songwriting. I haven't had a good session in a while and I needed to clear my mind. I sit on my floor of my tiny apartment in the city with the blinds drawn back letting the sunlight in. The windows wide open letting the Windy City come into the small space. It was a beautiful day so I hope that means it can be a productive one too. Precious was sleeping on the floor next to me in her little bed as I strum the chords I've been trying out. I set my note pad in my lap and jot down some lyrics as they come to me. It's important to have inspiration and right now I have a lot of it. I've been with Patrick for a few weeks now and it's been one great day after another. Not a moment passes where I feel like there's someone else I'd feather see or with someone else I would rather be. He's been more than great and it was hard not to write about it.

I get in a good groove until my phones rings and I let out a groan. Right at the good part.

"Hello" I answer wedging my phone between my ear and shoulder going back to writing.

"I'm booored" Patrick's voice wails over the phone. For a famous athlete he sure doesn't know how to keep himself entertained.

"Then do somethiiiing" I joke.

"I want to hang out with you" he claims.

"I'm writing right now" I try.

"Then can I come hang out with Precious" he suggests.

"Oh my god... you're dating me for my dog aren't you" I tease.

"No, the dog is cute but you are cuter. And a great excuse to see you today. Pleaaaase" he whines.

"Fine Patrick, you can come over but you can not bothering me" I say. The second those words pass my lips there's a knock at my door and Precious' little head pops up. I don't remember expecting company.

"Um hold on, someone's at the door" I say getting up off the floor. He holds on the other line as I make my way to answer whoever was here. I open the door and Patrick was standing there with a picnic basket and a huge smile.

"Hey Patrick I have to go, you're at the door" I joke into the phone and he starts laughing. I tuck my phone in my pocket and place a kiss on his lips. I never get tired of this. I welcome him in and return to my spot.

"Whatcha doing" he asks sitting next to me on the floor. He places the basket between us and precious sticks her curious little head in there.

"Songwriting" I say placing my acoustic guitar back in my lap trying to pick up where I left off. Patrick lays down next to me and places Precious on his chest causing me to laugh. He feeds himself some cheese out of the basket then some to my dog. I shake my head and start to play the chords to familiarize myself with it. I play it over and over again and he starts hum along.

"Can you freestyle" I ask and he sits up. Precious jumps off his chest and goes to play with a toy.

"I am the master of flow" he claims causing me to laugh. I don't doubt it.

"Okay Patty Cakes, lets see what you got" I challenge. I start to play some different chords and he sways back and fourth feeling out the beat.

"It's a bright and sunny Chicago day,
I got my girl and some food and I'm feeling okay.
At first I was super bummed that I couldn't play hockey.
But it's going to be okay because you let me play with your doggy" he sings while I try to stifle my laughter but fail.

"That bad huh" he smirks.

"It was cute. I like it" I smile.

"Alright superstar, what do you have" he asks. I bite my lip and look down at my paper.

"I don't know... it's not really done yet" I shrug. It was basically done but I didn't want him to hear it. It was kind of about him and it was obvious it was.

"Come on, you could sing the alphabet and I would be intrigued. Let me hear it" he tries.

"Are you sure you don't want to hear it when it's done" I ask trying to buy some time to make another song.

"Nope. Show me" he demands. I start to slowly strum the guitar and close my eyes trying my best to connect to the music. I actually loved what I had for this song so far.

"They say in the darkest moments
is when you see the light.
Across the room he sat,
shining oh so bright.

He had strong arms,
So secure and wide.
ones that could hold me close at night.

As his glance catches mine
everything  felt so right.
I knew it in that moment there
That he had changed my life.
When everything was so wrong,
he made it seem alright.
And although I've never been in love before
I have this feeling that I soon might.
Cause this don't even feel like falling, no
This is love at first sight.

I look out across the room
and it is him that my mind is on.
I got these feelings I can't describe
I'm not sure how to act upon.

All I know is that it's dark in this club
and he's packing up his things.
Each night it gets harder and harder to watch
him get up and leave.

As he fades away from my dim view
I find that smile that shines for me to see.
I had finally found my light in the dark
I hope he thinks the same of me."

I open my eyes to see he moved closer to me. He was right next to me. The basket was packed up and there was a bunch of flowers on top of them now, but he didn't seem to notice. He takes the guitar out of my hands and sets it to the side. He pulls my into his lap and I stare into his deep blue eyes. We've only been together a few weeks but it felt like forever.

"You are... so incredible" he says running a hand through my obnoxiously curly hair. I didn't eve bother with it today because I wasn't planning on doing anything.

"I don't know about that" I say.

"That song was beautiful. Your voice... phenomenal. Your guitar playing... breath taking. How haven't you been picked up yet" he asks.

"It's... it's a long story that I really don't feel like getting into right now" I cringe. I didn't want to murder the mood.

"It's okay, we don't have to. But there is something I want to tell you" he says. He pulls my face to his before kissing my neck.

"What" I whisper as my eyes roll to the back of my head.

"I do think the same of you" he whispers on my skin sending chills down my spine. My hands grab his face so I could really look at him. We study each other for a little letting the day pass us by.

"You're so beautiful" he says causing me to blush. I try to hide my face but it doesn't work out well.

"I'll have to take your word for it" I reply.

"You might not see it, but I do. You're my light in the darkness and I'm very happy that I can call you your better half" he claims.

"That's sweet of you, it's just hard for me to think highly of myself when I know there's so much more I can give" I explain.

"I get that, but I'm going to help you get there" he insists.

"Thanks" I smile before he presses his lips to mine once again.