Chapter One- This Is It

Elizabeth

I pull on the skimpy red dress that I'm required to wear for this gig and slip into my favorite pair of black high heels. The dress stops right above my knees and showed so much skin I was concerned I would slip on some melted ice and lose my virginity. And don't get me wrong, I love this dress, but it is most definitely not me. I look into the mirror and adjust my large hair that was particularly curly today. I usually hate trying to control all of this but when it look good, it looks so good. My brown hair falls past my shoulders and I felt like Beyoncé in her younger years. I add a layer of dark red lipstick and decide that will do as far as make up goes. I hated wearing the stuff and it's dark on stage so it shouldn't really matter.

I wasn't built like most entertainers, I liked to work out and be active and it makes it hard for my fat ass to fit in this dress, but I make it work

I wasn't built like most entertainers, I liked to work out and be active and it makes it hard for my fat ass to fit in this dress, but I make it work. I had arm muscles and a six pack, when I wear heels my legs looks like they could crush a watermelon. But I work hard at whatever I do and that includes being fit. I loved it but the owner of the bar... yeah not so much. Unfortunately for me my muscular body doesn't match my innocent childlike face.

I don't like dressing up or getting cat called by the guys, that's not why I'm doing this, I'm doing this because I like to sing. That's it, but in order for me to sing at this bar I have to dress like I just slid down a pole. I don't mind it much, music is who I am, who I want to be. The tight clothes and drunk guys are prices I'm willing to pay to finally make it. I don't want to flaunt around in skimpy clothes or have the huge production. I want voices, some acoustics, and a band. Singing at a night bar isn't my dream, but it's a start.

I stare back into the mirror and like what I see for once. It's been a while since I was able to say that, it was nice while it lasted. Self confidence is hard to come by and being a singer and all, but it's so important to have.

"Hey Viv, can you zip me up" I ask my best friend Vivian who was getting ready too.

Here in my little world I sing at this bar in the hopes someone will pick me and the band up and give us a try, and in the band my best friend sings back up. She's here for the money so she doesn't care as much, but she's become my biggest fan along the way. Vivian was basically my hype man because lord knows I won't do it. I'm usually soft spoken and kind. She does the talking and I do the singing, life just works better that way. Singing is my escape and my best friend is always there with me.