Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso

***Anime information***

Seasons: 1

Episodes: 22

Episode length: 24:00

Genre: Drama, Music, School, Romance, Shounen

Viewers rating: 9/10

Opening: 1.) Hikaru nara
2.) Nanairo Symphony

Ending: 1.) Kirameki
2.) Orange

Plot:
Music accompanies the path of the human metronome, the prodigious pianist Kousei Arima. But after the passing of his mother, Saki Arima, Kousei falls into a downward spiral, rendering him unable to hear the sound of his own piano.

Two years later, Kousei still avoids the piano, leaving behind his admirers and rivals, and lives a colorless life alongside his friends Tsubaki Sawabe and Ryouta Watari. However, everything changes when he meets a beautiful violinist, Kaori Miyazono, who stirs up his world and sets him on a journey to face music again.

***personal input***

Personal rating: 10/10

Opinion: Your lie in April is one of those series I began when I'd started anime. However, I was a filthy pleb who failed to capture the true nature and amazing-ness that this anime has to offer. The anime is a straight drama, and defiantly isn't for everyone. So, let me tell you why I loved this series so much. Here's my review on the masterpiece, Your lie in April.

The story of Your lie in April is one of tragic events, and the protagonist growing and dealing with these issues through his determination and some help from those around him. And with time, finding love. I've heard people call this a great slice of life, but that is wrong! This anime is dramatic as hell. It is undeniable that some "comedic" and more light hearted elements are present, simply to attempt to lighten the mood at more depressing points in the series.

And while I did love this series in almost every way, I had issues with certain things. For instance, the main heroine in this show. Not that I hated her character, I just hated her character. But that isn't what problem I was referring to. I felt like they certainly didn't put enough emphasis on her, not as a character, but as a love interest. For the main heroine I felt like there wasn't enough, not chemistry, but simply romance itself. I felt she lacked the proper amounts of romantic developments with the protagonist.

Now, the story itself was far greater than I'd ever anticipated. The plot, what this anime is about, the tale to be told was one that grasped my heart and squeezed tighter than the witch of Re:Zero. The story was admittedly slow at the start. For the first few episodes I was still baffled by the series high held status. But once things kicked off I was hooked and once I finished I fully understood why the series was loved. The mix of romance centering around the protagonist, his childhood friend and the main heroine was fantastic, having my own emotions boil as I'd chosen best girl and eagerly awaited the outcome. The psychological aspects regarding the protagonist as he deals with his mother's ghost and desperately struggles to regain the lost sound of the piano was not only interesting but also added a new level of depth to his personality. And the despair of the main heroine's condition, my subconscious understanding of what would come and my denial that it was going to happen.

This show is deep. It's complex in many ways, but is easily understood. It's beautiful in one light, while simultaneously displaying real world horrors. Your lie in April is two faced, and I love it. It's a great romance, it's a fantastic drama and just a wonderful story.

The art and animation was pretty alright. I can say that I liked the character's design and all the playing of music, along with just about everything else was beautifully animated.

Moving on, the music is some of the best I've ever heard. It's in my top three best soundtracks. The openings were both wonderfully composed and displays the talent that Goose House has. The endings were equally amazing, and the OST tracks were some of the most beautiful pieces to ever grace my ears. I wasn't a very big fan of classical music until I watched this show. The music has had an amazing effect on me.

Finally, the characters. I get that the show had a limit of time and episodes. So I try not to be too unfair when I say that I'm disappointed in the lack of developments with a lot of the characters. For example, the two rivals of the protagonist. Now, don't get me wrong, everyone was developed to an acceptable extent. But I felt that they were important, played a larger role and should have received more time and development.

Generally, however, the characters were a fantastic, loveable group that displayed realism in themselves and brought this amazing story to life. I loved this cast.

Your lie in April is a well respected show and one that I've come to appreciate and love. It's a fantastic series with an amazing story, well rounded characters, divine music and beautiful art. This is a series everyone should try, it's worth your time.

Favorite character:

Sawabe Tsubaki

Favorite part:

***Average***

Plot: 90

Op: 99

Character's: 95

Art style: 85

Enjoyment: 96

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Average: 93 (A  level anime)