The disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

***Movie Information***

Movie length: 2 hours and 42 minutes

Genres: Comedy, Mystery, Parody, Romance, School, Slice of life, Sci-fi

Viewers rating: 9/10

Opening: Bouken Desho Desho?

Ending: Yasashii Boukyaku

Plot: One cold Christmas day, Kyon heads over to school and the SOS Brigade's holiday celebration, only to realize that Haruhi Suzumiya seems to have disappeared. Moreover, no one even remembers her or the SOS Brigade; Mikuru Asahina knows nothing and is now afraid of him, and Itsuki Koizumi has also gone missing. The Literature Club, formed only by an uncharacteristically shy Yuki Nagato, now occupies the old SOS club room.

Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu is based on the fourth light novel of the acclaimed Haruhi series and is set after the events of the anime series. Not uncultured in the supernatural, Kyon will have to deal with his whole life turned upside down like a bad joke, and maybe it's better that way.

***personal input***

Personal rating: 10/10

Opinion:  This is it, the peak, the very best of the series! I have so much to say, so let's get right into things.

The twenty four episode prequel to this movie was okay at best, and the sixteen episode spinoff that stems from this is good, however this movie that rest in between is the absolute best. The gold of the series. This movie made up for every issue I had with the melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. It was well done, allowed more insight on certain characters, and best of all, it made that bitchy Suzumiya disappear for the majority of the movie. All grade A aspects of this film.

So, let's start with the plot. Before hand I will say that I won't be reframing from any spoilers, so if you haven't seen it yet, take my word that it's amazing and stop reading. Watch it. Then come back! It won't be near as great if you spoil it.

Now, the plot. Personally, I found it to be an interesting idea. I've seen so many series that try their hand at time travel and alternate universes. When done right, it can be worthy of a 10/10 just like this film. This film used the very scarce amounts of good things from the prequel and with those created an overwhelmingly good story. This movie also changed what I thought was a solid opinion for myself. That was "all movies would be better as series" simply putting them in anime television formats and allowing for longer air time. Before watching this I had thought that with very movie I'd seen, but I disagreed with that logic for this movie. I don't think it would be as great as a series than as a movie.

Maybe it's due to that fact it's based off a series, but I digress. I think it may have only applied to myself, but the plot twist of "who did it" actually came as a surprise to myself. I had no idea in my mind that present day Nagito would be the one to alter the world. That actually surprised me. The story was generally hooking, as I watched Kyon go through this alien world trying to find his true place.

Next is the art and animation. The movie was done in the same style as the prequel series, which I found to be an older style, but very fitting for the series. Plus, Haruhi looked like she had a lesser case of down-syndrome. She also looked a million times better with her longer hair.

Now, let's talk about the beloved character cast we all thought we knew so well. The first thing I want to say is, I almost felt as if some characters were completely new. I suppose that the Nagito we saw for the majority of the movie was "new" but even other characters. Mainly, Kyon. Now, I'm sure waking up in a world where everything is messed up, and none of your friends know you is scary. But Kyon completely lost his cool during the movie. He was way to aggressive towards everyone. When his friend said he knew Haruhi, he grabbed him by the collar and was basically choking him for the information. He'd shoved the alternate Nagito against the wall. Kyon was just a prick. Again, I understand he must have been undergoing some physiological trauma, but I wanted his friend to make him snap out of his mood with a punch to the face.

Haruhi wasn't much different. Still a bitch, but I shipped her with the esper for the film. I thought their alternate selves would have made a good couple. Nagito however, well she's just best girl isn't she? I really loved the alternate, shy personality that she had. This movie, along with the Nagito Yuki spin off showed me that she is the best of them all. But even when Kyon made it back, even the emotionless Nagito was cute. The ending scene between her and Kyon on the rooftop was the best way to end off the show, I think.

There isn't a whole lot more I can say about the movie. Don't watch it unless you've seen the prequel series, duh. Then don't watch the spinoff series unless you've seen this. I wasn't sure about the series at the start of it all, but everything to come makes it an amazing series that I'll never forget. 

Favorite character:

Nagito Yuki

Favorite part:

Favorite part:

***Average***

Plot: 98

Op: 90

Character's: 95

Art style: 84

Enjoyment: 98

The disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya average: 93 (A level anime)