Kotonoha no Niwa

***Movie information***

Movie length: 45:00

Genres: Slice of life, Psychological, Drama, Romance

Viewers rating: 8/10

Opening: None

Ending: Rain

Plot: On a rainy morning in Tokyo, Takao Akizuki, an aspiring shoemaker, decides to skip class to sketch designs in a beautiful garden. This is where he meets Yukari Yukino, a beautiful yet mysterious woman, for the very first time. Offering to make her new shoes, Takao continues to meet with Yukari throughout the rainy season, and without even realizing it, the two are able to alleviate the worries hidden in their hearts just by being with each other. However, their personal struggles have not disappeared completely, and as the end of the rainy season approaches, their relationship will be put to the test.

***personal input***

Personal rating: 8/10

Opinion: I was very impressed at just what this film managed to to in a simple 47 minutes. But even more so, Makoto Shinkai continues to amaze me. As I view more and more of his films, it's clear he is my favorite director of all time. But anyway, let's get into the film itself. Ladies and gents, I present, Kotonoha no Niwa.

Primarily, I found this story to be a more serious one. It was interesting and seemed to appeal to the more matured fans out there. The plot seemed to tackle a lot of issues in both adolescence and adulthood. For example, how the protagonist has a dream he wishes to pursue, however the world seems to be against him and that idea. Another example is how cruel people in highschool can be, not only to students, but also the teachers.

Another interesting topic that the film covered was the general taboo of love between over and under aged individuals. It really gets you to consider your own morals and where exactly you stand on such matters. I also think they conveyed these topics in a brilliant manner, as most were accurate and relatable experiences that have and do occur.

So, what did I think of the story? It was good, I liked it. While I'm still new to a lot of his work, this film has become a personal favorite of mime from Makoto Shinkai's line of productions.

Aside from all the moral matters that the movie set out, I found the personal ones to be well placed. The directly stated love that formed between characters was morally debatable, however appropriate in my opinion. It was sweet. Moreover, I loved how the film managed this taboo issue. Rather than confining the relationships between the two, it took a more realistic and again, appropriate ending.

They separate, as the teacher had planned to do. They begin to lead separate lives and work independently on their own lives. While at the same time writing to one another. When it's revealed that the main character finishes the shoes he's been working on, he talks about how once he can "walk again" that he will visit her. Obviously this wasn't literal, as he walks everywhere, but more metaphorical, which I found the film to do a lot. It was another great touch on the movie.

It can be interpreted many ways, and I have decided that he is talking about age. I believe that the love they had was something real and rare. And so, when he crosses that age into adulthood, he'll be able to walk. Thus, he will go to her and pursue not only his dream, but their love.

Aside from that; the art and animation was stunning. I found that with the exception of, honestly, the main character, everyone was designed in such a beautiful way. The animation was also over the top. I say that not only for the characters, but in a general sense. It was the changing weather in the film that showed me just how amazing the animation was.

The soundtrack was also very well done, very well placed. Of note, there was a background melody of the piano that would play a multitude of time, and at the most appropriate times throughout the film. And there was that ever so heartwarming song that rang out as the film came to a close. While it wasn't a broad one, it was a very memorable and excellent series of music.

Finally the characters. There weren't many of note. Primarily two, seeing as the main two characters were the only ones throughout the movie with any information. That being said, they were a couple of great characters. The protagonist was a relatable one. One that had dreams he wasn't afraid to reach for, who would go as far as to fist fight over what he believed in.

The teacher, our main heroine, the love interest, was also a great character. While she was introduced to have certain issues such as a taste disorder, I found not much to be done with that. I feel as if certain things were added onto her to make her seem more of a helpless, abnormal type of character. Granted she was facing a great deal of stress and trauma. I found that as the movie went on and their relationship grew, that I was very attached to her. She was this cute, loveable character that had her flaws. I defiantly came to love her as a relationship interest, and I applaud a movie so such for bringing out such great emotion in me.

As it stands, as I write this, right under Kimi no na wa, there is this film. It is one of the best anime movies I've seen thus far. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a generally good movie. I think the film did things well, all things considered and everyone should give it a try.

Favorite character:

Yukino Yukari

Favorite part:

Favorite part:

***Average***

Plot: 90

Op: 94

Character's: 90

Art style: 92

Enjoyment: 93

Kotonoha no Niwa average: 92 (B level film)