Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora

***Anime information***

Seasons: 1

Episodes: 6

Episode length: 25:00

Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance

Viewers rating: 8/10

Opening: Aoi Koufuku

Ending: Kioku no Kakera

Plot: After contracting hepatitis A, Ezaki Yuuichi has been confined to a hospital, away from his friends and family, much to his displeasure. To relieve his boredom, he has taken to sneaking out of the hospital, usually putting himself on the receiving end of a beating from his nurse. Upon meeting a girl his age also staying in the hospital, he is immediately captivated by her beauty. Akiba Rika's personality is not quite as captivating as her beauty however. In fact, she is rather selfish, moody, and bossy. But as the two spend more time with each other, they become closer, sharing the ordinary joys and trials of a budding teenage romance, even when darkened with impending tragedy-for Rika's condition does not leave her much longer to live.

***personal input***

Personal rating: 8/10

Opinion: Anime like these need to be cherished much more by the common viewer. I had no idea what to expect when I jumped into the show, but I will say that I didn't expect much. Seeing as the anime only had six episodes, I suppose I got the impression that it wasn't very good. Nevertheless, let's talk about that. Here's just what I thought about Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora.

Starting off, the plot was simple. Yet it managed so many things inside that simplicity and shallow episode amount. It was a real surprise. The anime was most defiantly more mature than your average show, and I say that for a number of reasons. Primarily because it handles many ideal emotions given the specific situation of the series. Things like death, depression, loneliness, and even intimate yearnings. However, it handles these elements properly, careful that nothing falls short or wavers from what it's supposed to be. I find series that manage such things to be rare in many cases.

One of the few issues I had with this show was its "comedy" aspects. There were numerous cases throughout the anime that the "comedy" kicked in. I can't say why exactly this was there, but it certainly didn't fit. Even while taking into consideration that the show is a romance, it was depressing. And it was this way on purpose if course, given the scenario of the show, sadness is logically the dominate emotion of the show. So, all the jokes that the anime tried laying out didn't work at all. In fact, it was a hindrance to the series. It just wasn't funny, was defiantly out of place, and made some characters look plain idiotic.

The anime made sure that the story stayed realistic, and I loved that. Of course, with a realistic show comes some depressing outcomes, but those outcomes make sense and that's what makes the anime even better. Rika's death was presented as unavoidable, and the show stuck to that. While it was said she had more time, possible years, it still made sure to inform us that she was terminal. While it is saddening to know she did die sometime after the anime, it was fantastic that an anime ending stayed logical and reasonable. This also made the romance between the two main characters all that more special.

Now, the anime is older. So of course it'd have a... Well it had a pretty trash art style. Granted, it didn't really matter to me, but I know people to turn away series that look like these. It isn't all that bad, I've certainly seen worse, however it isn't the nicest thing to look at. The animation also wasn't so great. It didn't have that many issues, but there were times when things looked really funny, as in odd. The art and animation isn't great at all, but the series is eleven years old, so it isn't like I'm completely hating it because of it. In fact this was rather insignificant to myself. As I was so invested in the story.

The music wasn't too good either. I mean, after a few episodes the opening grew on me, but the ending never did get on my good side. Even after this time, I still wasn't too interested in the music. All in all it just wasn't that good.

Finally, our characters. With the show being as short as it was, it was difficult to fairly judge them. Most of them played no really significant roles, and were there just to be there. But out of the characters that did matter, well I can't say I liked too many of them. In fact, I liked one person throughout the entire show. While I did think the romance between the main characters was cute, I honestly hated them both. The main character was an annoying guy, and the main heroine was a Tsundere bitch. I know that sounds harsh, and I know she was on her death bed. However, she was a really rude person just no justifiable reasons. I hated the doctor, he was asshole in every way, all because he was upset! The characters also jus weren't that good.

Throughout my opinion I've said that basically every area wasn't that great, and it true. But the plot was grand, it was amazing. I think that, despite them all being mediocre alone, every area was incredibly boosted when they all combined with the story. Together they make up a great anime that you all should take the time to watch.

Favorite character:

Akiko Tanizaki

F

avorite part:

***Average***

Plot: 84

Op: 85

Character's: 89

Art style: 70

Enjoyment: 94

Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora average: 84 (B level anime)