Nagito Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu

***Anime information***

Seasons: 1

Episodes: 16

Episode length: 24:00

Genre: Comedy, School Romance, Slice of life

Viewers rating: 7/10

Opening: Fure Fure Mirai 

Ending: Arigatou, Daisuki

Plot: In an alternate universe, shy, awkward Yuki Nagato attempts to court her crush, Kyon, with the help of her best friend and neighbor, the perky and indomitable Ryoko Asakura. Together, the trio defends their high school literature club from extermination…and from the pestering of their over-the-top classmate Tsuruya and her friend and minion Mikuru.

***personal input***

Personal rating: 9/10

Opinion: With the amazing movie that followed The disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, this anime certainly fit the ideal image I had as a sequel for the movie! So, let's talk about that. Here is just what I thought about the anime, Nagito Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu.

My primary interest for this was, of course, the story. In the movie we saw that Kyon had been sentenced to an alternate world, and I'm sure it left a large portion wondering what would have happened if he had stayed. This anime is like a fan fiction come to life, and in my opinion, that was a genius move on the producers part.

The show takes away that slight supernatural element that the series had prior to this show, and as a result, I'd say that this simple slice of life, romance was better than anything the disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya could have mustered. It was just pure enjoyment and interest that consumed me as I watched Kyon build his romance with this world's Nagito. I found it cute at all the references the show made to it's precursors, I also personality liked how at times the anime seemed like a "Weird faces that Nagito has made" compilation.

From the moment I finished the movie, I was set that Nagito was best girl. Then seeing this lively, shy and adorable new Nagito convinced me even more. So I was pleased to see that the romance was kicking off right from the first episodes. However, I must say that the ending results of it all were, quite disappointing.

Towards the middle of the show, I found myself frustrated at the romantic feelings between Kyon and Haruhi that the show was bluntly shoving in my face. Seeing as it was Nagito's anime, I thought those element's of the show had no place. However, towards the end, I did enjoy the slightly psychological episode that Kyon went through. It was believable scene that only pushed my loving for the anime, and their relationship forward.

Now, the ending of this anime has most defiantly mixed my feelings up. I was very conflicted with it. I actually really liked it, and thought it to be very clever. But on the other hand was unsatisfied and a bit pissed about the whole thing. On the positive and interesting side, the show clearly explains in the very last seconds of the anime that the characters of this world are going through the same time loop that the others had to go through in the anime prior to the movie. This was an incredible ending twist that had me wanting more and more episodes at a far greater level than I'd ever really experienced before. But on the lesser side of things, I was completely pissed that they didn't get together. Throughout the course of a three hour movie and sixteen episode anime I was waiting for it!

I was waiting patiently, but to no avail. While I will admit that the romance at the festival was cute, it simply wasn't enough to satisfy the yearning I'd been feeling for most if the series. But I won't say the ending was trash, as if they had gotten together, I don't think it would have mattered much. As, time would reset, they wouldn't be together and they'd have to repeat the summer as they did in the other world. Some 15,000 times. I'm many ways, I'm still drooling over how genius I think that ending was, and wondering if they will ever get out of that time loop.

But...moving on. Let's cover the art style and animation. Honesty, I liked the art style of the characters for this anime more than for the movie or other show. I think all the female characters looked a thousand times betters, however, the male characters didn't. In fact, I think that the males looked worse, all of them. Kyon just didn't look like Kyon. Aside from that, the animation was smooth, making the show unravel at an amazing rate, as something amazing to watch.

The soundtrack was also very good. My favorite opening from the series, and an ending song that reminded me of the melancholy behind the franchise.

Finally, I will cover the characters. A lot of them hadn't changed all that much from the past. Primarily, it was Nagito, who was completely different. This was good however, as she had an amazing personality that beats everyone else a million times over. She was cute and I absolutely loved her character in this. But, besides her, it was very interesting to see a character who died rather quickly in the past of the series. I found it nice to see her as a main character, and really get to experience her character when she wasn't trying to kill Kyon.

Haruhi was still a bitch. Granted she wasn't as big of one, but that's probably because she didn't get enough screen time. The minimum amounts of her really did the show well!

I'm seriously debating it with myself, but this might be my favorite area of the entire series. Either this or the movie, and I'll need to give it some more thought. But overall, the anime was absolutely amazing, completely stunning. If it'd had a slightly better ending, I'd have called it perfect, but I digress. I hope you all take the time to enjoy this wonderful series. It is most defiantly one of the better series of the anime industry. It shouldn't be overlooked without at least trying it, you all would really be missing out.

Favorite character:

Nagato Yuki

Preview part:

Preview part:

***Average***

Plot: 90

Op: 86

Character's: 95

Art style: 96

Enjoyment: 98

Nagito Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu average: 93 (A level anime)