Nagi no Asukara

***Anime information***

Seasons: 1

Episodes: 26

Episode length: 24:00

Genre: Drama, Fantasy, Romance

Viewers rating: 8/10

Opening: 1.) Lull
    2.) ebb and flow

Ending: 1.) Aqua Terrarium
2.) Mitsuba no Musubime

Plot: Long ago, all humans lived beneath the sea. However, some people preferred the surface and abandoned living underwater permanently. As a consequence, they were stripped of their god-given protection called "Ena" which allowed them to breathe underwater. Over time, the rift between the denizens of the sea and of the surface widened, although contact between the two peoples still existed.

Nagi no Asukara follows the story of Hikari Sakishima and Manaka Mukaido, along with their childhood friends Chisaki Hiradaira and Kaname Isaki, who are forced to leave the sea and attend a school on the surface. There, the group also meets Tsumugu Kihara, a fellow student and fisherman who loves the sea.

Hikari and his friends' lives are bound to change as they have to deal with the deep-seated hatred and discrimination between the people of sea and of the surface, the storms in their personal lives, as well as an impending tempest which may spell doom for all who dwell on the surface

***personal input***

Personal rating: 7/10

Opinion: {A special thanks and shout out to xXCookieHeavenXx who asked that I watch and review the series! I hope you all will bring me more recommendations in the future. Remember, I have a chapter exclusively for that purpose, but anyway...}

As previously mentioned, I was addressed by a reader and asked to review this anime (of course I'd planned to watch it at some point anyway) and so, that's what I've done and am doing. Ladies and gents! This is my pure, uncensored opinion of the anime Nagi no Asukara, or the lull of the sea. Let's get right into things!

So, starting off, let's cover the plot of this series. From the beginning of the first episode I was very interested in the world this anime was set in. Immediately, the series tosses around some rather intriguing concepts and mythological ideas. Mainly, people were once one large group living in a village under the sea. However, with time, some left and began to inhabit the surface, thus losing their gift from the sea god, their Ena.

A solid idea, and it was presented with more than enough background information to make it work. It was an interesting concept, and it got me more invested in the show. So, I do commend the series for having some excellent lore and past elements.

The present of the anime is a different story however. I'll be blunt. The entire first half of this anime was utterly, and completely pointless. Basically, up to episode thirteen was garbage. Until the sea village decided to go into hibernation nothing actually happened. The biggest conflicts of the show was some stupid middle schooler's discrimination on the kids from the sea.