Dog Days

***Anime information***

Seasons: 3

Episodes: 38 (12-13 per season)

Episode length: 24:00

Genre: Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Magic

Viewers rating: 7/10

Opening: 1.) Scarlet Knight
2.) FEARLESS HERO
3.) No limit

Ending: 1.) Presenter
2.) Natsu no Yakusoku
3.) Stay with me

Plot: Dog Days takes place in the world of Flonyard, an alternate Earth inhabited by beings who resemble humans, but also have the ears and tails of specific animals. The Republic of Biscotti, a union of dog-like citizens, has come under attack by the feline forces of the Galette Leo Knights. In an effort to save Biscotti, Princess Millhiore summons a champion from another world in order to defend her people. That champion is Cinque Izumi, a normal junior high student from Earth.

Agreeing to assist Biscotti, Cinque retrieves a sacred weapon called the Palladion and prepares for war. In Flonyard, wars are fought with no casualties and are more akin to sports competitions with the goal of raising money for the participating kingdoms. Cinque is successful in his role as Biscotti’s champion, but learns that a summoned champion cannot be returned to their home world. The scientists of Biscotti will endeavor to find a way for Cinque to return home, but until they figure something out, he must serve Princess Millhiore by continuing to fight as Biscotti’s hero.

***personal input***

Personal rating: 6/10

Opinion: While I generally liked the series, and while I enjoyed it for the most part, some of the show's more interesting elements were the ones I hated the most. I liked the series, but was disappointed in what it presented. Ladies and Gents, this is my review of the anime series Dog Days!

The story of this anime is one that I think could use a little work. Originally, in the first season a kingdom set in a fantasy world is in a dire situation, and as a result summons a "Hero" from the human world to save them.

Of course, said hero is a super athletic twelve year old. Why? Because it's anime.

Season one, when only that hero, the protagonist, was the one entering the world was when the show was at it's peak, in my opinion. Seasons 2 and 3 bring his two friends along for the ride, and this is where the show declines. His two friends served no real purpose in the show, they only acted as heroes for their own kingdoms and competed in the ever so frustrating war games.

At the very most, his friends were nothing more than additions to his otherworldly harem. I just can't bring myself to give this story the benefit of the doubt. The primary focuses of the series were the protagonist's relationships with the surrounding characters, and these "War Games." The war games were an interesting idea, but I still hated it none the less.

Having each kingdom and their armies battle for fun, in ridiculous situations and atop a ludicrous battlefield. I hated it. Every second of it. It was all for fun with no real purpose, and I detest pointless things.

The other main factor the show tried to focus on was the relationships between characters. I must say, for an anime with three seasons, things didn't go anywhere. In fact, the developments were little. They weren't strong and didn't happen as much as they should have. Even when you were sure something would happen, it never did. When Rico was trying to council Enclair, and get her to confess to the hero, I was so happy. Because I was sure the show would do the logical thing and have those feelings displayed. {SPOILER ALERT! THEY DIDN'T}

And so the show's main focus were hardly used or developed to the point of actual interest. And the things the show should have focused on, namely the demons, weren't used to much extent. They fought a single demon in season one, completely did away with them in season two, and used them a little more as a conflict in season three. This serious threat of demons needed more development and space in the story, but the time was wasted on pointless things.

The plot of Dog Days wasn't a strong one. It's almost childish. But, as much as it is that, it was also entertaining. I enjoyed myself for the most part, and while it has a ton of issues, it wasn't horrible.

The art and animation wasn't terrible either. The art has this older look to it, but I still liked how the cast was presented and styled. The animation was done well enough. At least to the point that I couldn't see any issues in it.

I personally thought the music was fantastic. All openings and endings sounded great, and the insert songs were also quite well sounding. A generally well sounding soundtrack.

Finally, the characters. I think I've stated enough how the show didn't have near enough developments for my liking. The same can be said about the characters. I did have my favorites, ones I liked more than others, but I don't think any of the characters moved at all in this show. In all three seasons none of them really grew or changed. They all stayed relatively the same from when they were introduced. And so my favorites never changed, and I never grew to like another. All because there was no change!

The characters themselves weren't all that bad. Some were annoying as all hell, but I mostly liked the cast.

Dog Days is one of those shows meant to have fun with. It's flexible and malleable, which is one of it's stronger points. Granted, it does contain it's fare share of fan service and various clichés, but I think people would positively receive the show, for the most part.

Favorite character:
Galette des Rois Leonmitchelli

Favorite part:

***Average***

Plot: 80

Op: 80

Character's: 85

Art style: 87

Enjoyment: 90

Dog Days Average: 84 (B level anime)