Ladies versus Butlers

***Anime information***

Seasons: 1

Episodes: 12

Episode length: 24:00

Genre: Ecchi, Comedy, Harem, Romance, School, Seinen

Viewers rating: 7/10

Opening: LOVE x HEAVEN

Ending: Starry boy

Plot: Hino Akiharu lost his parents when he was small and was adopted into his uncle's family. He didn't want to be a burden on his uncle's family and decides to enter a free boarding school as a butler, Hakureiryou high school. However, his delinquent boy-like appearance frightens the girls, who make up the majority of the students. Unable to get along with the classmates, Akiharu meets his childhood crush Saikyou Tomomi.

***personal input***

Personal rating: 6/10

Opinion: Sometimes I walk into an anime with low expectations and high results, and sometimes it's the opposite. I walked into this anime thinking it would be great. It wasn't, not really. But let's talk about that, as I cover Ladies Versus Butlers!

So, our plot was iffy. Guy transfers into a....Servitude school. Alright, one thing I can say is that if you're into maids, this is an anime for you! His reasoning was logical, and I liked that. He attended because the tuition was free if you managed to get enrolled. Makes sense! Now, just about everything else didn't make any damn sense, per usual with anime like these.

This is what I refer to as your "common ecchi/harem" and boy do I use that term a lot. These types of series are infamous for their lack of story and characters. Replacing it all with raging fan service. Check, and check. This anime seems to be fitting the tabs.

The story wasn't there. It ran away once it discovered what it was. Throughout the course of the show, we see two girls that really shouldn't like the main character, fight behind the scenes for his affection. One was a drill bit Tsundere, and the other was a sadistic flat chest. Also throughout the show, as cliché for this type of anime, the protagonist was put in various and incredibly unrealistic sexual situations. This was of course to further build the harem he doesn't know he has, and start best girl wars in forums.

I personally didn't like many of the characters. The one I did like however did not receive much screen time. So, I watched as the protagonist did various things for various girls that I hated. It was a pretty trash story.

That was another thing, the protagonist was incredible dense, not infinite stratos dense, but he was up there. By the end of the show it was clear I needed to side with one of the main love interest, despite liking other characters. So, I did just that! I took the side of the Tsundere drill and waited.

What I did find nice about this story was that it made sure to get certain things done. There was a kiss! Now, it might sound stupid when I say that, but in these shallow ecchi anime, kisses with actual emotion and romance baking them just isn't a thing. It doesn't happen. So I was pleasantly surprised to see that unfold. It gave me silvers of hope that the show might turn itself around at the end. It didn't.

The ending was garbage. Trash. Shit.

The last episode was spent on the battle between the two heroines. The winner gets the extra ticket that the main character has, thus making it a date for whoever comes out on top. My favorite of the two wins. I was happy. But then the main character gets to new levels of dense. He says, "yeah, uh, you can both have the two tickets I have. You two go together."

For God's sake!

The art and animation was something I can't, or won't complain about. All the characters, looked really nice. And I say that in every sense of the word. And for the most part, I liked the designs of all the characters. I mean, the male side characters could have been drawn better, but that's just my opinion.

The music was also, pretty alright. Both opening and ending left me with good feelings as the show started and ended each episode. Ost tracks weren't as good, in fact they left little to no impression on me. To the point that I don't really remember any of them.

Then we have our characters. Here we go..... Simple, bland, carbon copy, boring, cliché...etc. These are all things I can use to accurately describe the character casts of this anime. I feel that each character had a specific trait they were supposed to fulfill. So that's all they did. Every character was a few basic emotions or traits and that's all. So, on a technical level I was very upset over the characters. However, on a simple viewer enjoyment level, they were alright. Fan service is fan service. I was pissed on both levels with the lack of developments. Even with that romantic kiss, it went nowhere. Nothing happened! For the episodes after, they acted like it never happened for the majority of the time. The lack of character developments really pissed me off.

It's true that I didn't have many good things to say about this anime, but compared to SO many other ecchi series, it's actually slightly better. There are things it has, such as little sprinkles of logic, that separates it from the bottom line ecchi harem. It isn't even close to the best I've seen, but it's higher than the average. There wasn't censoring for the show, so if you're looking for some quality fan service, I recommend giving this anime a try.

Favorite character:

Shikikagami Sanae

Preview part:

***Average***

Plot: 70

Op: 88

Character's: 80

Art style: 90

Enjoyment: 80

Ladies versus butlers average: 82 (C level anime)