Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

***Anime information***

Seasons: 1

Episodes: 26

Episode length: 24:00

Genre: Sci-fi, Supernatural, Magic, Romance, School

Viewers rating: 8/10

Opening: 1.) Rising hope
2.) Grilletto

Ending: 1.) Millenario
2.) Mirror

Plot: In the dawn of the 21st century, magic, long thought to be folklore and fairy tales, has become a systematized technology and is taught as a technical skill. In First High School, the institution for magicians, students are segregated into two groups based on their entrance exam scores: "Blooms," those who receive high scores, are assigned to the First Course, while "Weeds" are reserve students assigned to the Second Course.

Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei follows the siblings, Tatsuya and Miyuki Shiba, who are enrolled in First High School. Upon taking the exam, the prodigious Miyuki is placed in the First Course, while Tatsuya is relegated to the Second Course. Though his practical test scores and status as a "Weed" show him to be magically inept, he possesses extraordinary technical knowledge, physical combat capabilities, and unique magic techniques—making Tatsuya the irregular at a magical high school.

***personal input***

Personal rating: 5/10

Opinion: A lot of people really like this anime, and you know, I can understand why. The way the series is presented makes it appear to be a very flexible show that many would enjoy. While I didn't hate it, I didn't love it, and I have some bad things to say about it. So, here it is. My review of the anime Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, or in English, The Irregular at Magic Highschool.

If I'm being honest, all of my issues regarding this series stem from the writing. All my issues with the plot, well that's the writing. My issues with the characters? Well, it's in the writing. So, who wrote this? Shame on you!

The plot of the series certainly wasn't good. It was all over the place, focused on trivial things rather than having emphasized the more plot heavy elements. So much story time was focused on their school winning some fucking competition between the other schools, to the point of when it was mentioned I wanted to puke. The area seemed like filler. So I don't understand why it was focused on so heavily.

In fact, the first half if the show, no even more than that...the majority of this show, like three quarters was pointless and boring. Things didn't remotely begin to pick up until Tatsuya began destroying crime syndicates at the end of the bloody show! I'd say the only good, enjoyable plot relevant arch or series of episodes were the last four or so. When an all out battle between magicians and terrorist was thrown into the mix.

Now, I have no real issues with this arch. It was cool, it was enjoyable and it was a great way to end off the show. Of course, I am about to explain one reason why I didn't like the ending. Where was the romance at!? Damn it, WHERE!?

Why, tell me why, didn't Leo and Erika get together? Damn it! I needed the relationship to happen! Or Yoshida and Mizuki for that matter! I mean, it was implied that they were getting closer, but not much was really ever shown. I dunno, maybe I'm being picky, but I'm upset the most common romance was some bullshit relationship between siblings. Tatsuya and Miyuki are not a ship I support and I'm angry the only romance in this show is incest.

The plot for this anime was as clever as a lot of people say it is. It's horribly paced, and boring for the majority.

Now, this show is defiantly on a list of best looking art styles ever. My god! I drool over how amazing the art in this anime is, I'm absolutely in love with it! If I ever had an anime I'd want the artist that work on this series to do create characters and scenery. This anime probably has the best art I've seen, and in my opinion is just spectacular. The animation is also very good! I had no complaints here, and this area is the best part of the show.

The music is also up there with the art. I thought the general soundtrack for this anime was fantastic. All the songs involved in the series were over the top and I loved them. Making for a great soundtrack.

Finally we have the characters. Now, I have like five waifu from this anime because well, everyone looked so appealing and the characters were pretty good. At least personality wise. The characters here were likeable, cool and interesting. Mostly. My only real concern (Besides the lack of needed romance) is the lack of development in these characters. Not much was ever done with them. None of them took the time to bond until the very end, and even then not much was shown. I was displeased at the character developments.

Maybe I was too hard on the series. I might rewatch it and see if my opinion changes, but who really knows? This anime isn't bad, it's just lacking in some areas. But every series is a little lacking. The show could be boring, in fact it mostly was, but it was alright. I'm not opposed to a season two or anything. Check it out when you get the time, maybe you'll see something I didn't.

Favorite character:

Shibata Mizuki

Chiba Erika

Preview: {Watching thie anime like..}

***Average***

Plot: 75

Op: 88

Character's: 85

Art style: 99

Enjoyment: 87

Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei average: 87 (B level anime)