Chapter 44 The Wish

When Dara felt Jiyong wasn’t trembling anymore, she cleared her throat. “Err, Jiyong? I think we should go find a place to camp in. it’s getting dark already”

Jiyong suddenly pushed her away then stepped back. “Let’s go back to the river first”

“Why?” she asked, befuddled.

“You need to clean yourself first. I don’t want to sleep beside a smelly and dirty person”

“You’re so neat for a shadow” she pouted.

“And stop pouting” he said, turning away from her. He then started heading back to the river. “Because I might kiss you” he mumbled to himself which Dara didn’t hear.

“Old McDonald has a farm. . . .” she started singing. “. . . with a quack quack here. . . .”

“What the fucking hell are you singing?”

“You don’t know that?” she asked in disbelief. “Oh my God! I can’t believe this. I bet you don’t know any nursery rhymes, do you?”

When he didn’t answer, Dara shook her head and clicked her tongue.

“I’ll sing you more nursery rhymes, then”

“Never mind” he grimaced. “If it will be your voice, no thanks”

Dara cleared her throat. Then, at the top of her lungs, she sang, “Twinkle twinkle little star. . . .!”

~JIYONG’S POV~

“Aren’t you worried of what’s happening to your boyfriend?” I opened as we settled ourselves inside the tent. I waited for her to response but she was silent for a long time.

“Like what you said, he’s strong. He can take care of himself” she said silently but I detected the repressed anger in her voice.

We turned silent again.

“I don’t need a boyfriend who doesn’t even bother calling his girlfriend!” she suddenly burst out. “I can’t even contact him! What kind of a boyfriend is he? I should have known better than believe his promises! He said he’ll be back as soon as he can! He said he’ll call me as often as he can! But it’s been DAYS! DAYS, Jiyong! I haven’t received any message from him either! Can you believe that. . . . . . . .?!?”

I grimaced as she ranted like there’s no tomorrow. I shouldn’t have opened that particular topic.

“Okay, okay. I get it” I cut her off.

“I wish you were my boyfriend instead”

I froze. I glanced at her sharply. She was staring at the tent’s roof.

“But of course, that can’t happen” she then said. “If Sulli’s my girl bestfriend, I could say you’re my guy bestfriend”

I snorted. “True, that’s impossible to happen because I would never take you as a girlfriend. It’s like taking a child to babysit”

“You’re being conceited again”

I laughed lightly. “If you hate my attitude so much then why are you so determined to befriend me? And you’re even naming me as your best guy friend now”

“I’ll ask you the same question” she said. “If I’m so annoying to you, then why are you being like this, too?”

“I told you, I find you entertaining though that doesn’t change the fact that I don’t like you that much either”

“You are such a liar!” she clicked her tongue. “Oh, I just remembered I wanted to ask you something”

“What is it?” I asked.