Chapter 36 The Temptation

I glanced at the desk clock and sighed. I gently removed the girl’s head, hand and leg off me. I got out of the bed and went downstairs to their kitchen and pried around. After a while, I went upstairs, to her room and placed the plate beside her. I was at the door already when I heard her call my name. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. Why does she always have to wake up when I’m about to leave? Can’t I just leave without her waking up?

I slowly turned around to face her. She was looking down at the plate of pancakes beside her with teary eyes. Then, she looked up to me and jumped out of the bed. I know what’s going to happen next. So even before she could throw herself to me for an embrace, I stopped her.

“Enough of your hugs” I gritted, holding her an arms’ length away from me.

“Have you cooked for yourself, too?” she asked. I didn’t answer. “Wait, I’ll just wash my face and brush my teeth” she said then went to the bathroom. I was thinking of leaving when she suddenly came back. She went to get the plate on the bed and bounced to me. She grabbed my wrist and started dragging me with her.

“I’m not hungry” I said as she started making pancakes, which I presumed are for me.

“I don’t believe you” the girl answered.

“You don’t really believe anything I say or do, do you?”

“That’s not true” she contradicted.

“Well, I don’t believe you too” I returned.

“That’s because you’re narrow-minded”

“And you’re stubborn”

She chuckled. “We can go on like this forever, can’t we?”

“There’s no such thing as forever” I grimaced.

“Why are you being a pessimist this early?” she asked.

“Because I’m spending time with you against my will”

“Against your will?” she scoffed. “I actually think you’re enjoying my company already. And admit it, you consider me as your friend already”

“You’re delusional” I snorted.

“And I think you’re beginning to care for me” she said, then added, “as a friend, of course”

“That’s just your imagination”

“Then why did you make those pancakes for me?” she asked, facing me. She smiled knowingly as I wasn’t able to answer at once. “Ah, I’m so proud of myself”

“I didn’t make these because I care”

“Sorry” she said. “You’re minutes late in explaining yourself” she added then placed a plate in front of me.

“Do you know how irritating you are?” I gritted.

“Honey or chocolate syrup?” she asked.

The girl can’t seem to take the smile off her face as we were having a silent breakfast. She seemed unaffected by the glare and dark aura coming from me. Instead, she got smugger than before, making me growl. She suddenly burst out laughing until she fell off the chair. I straightened up, only to find her rolling on the floor, still laughing.

My insides started to tremble, my fists balled and my jaw clenched. I angrily stood up and pushed the empty plate away from me. I then started heading towards the door.

“Ya!” where are you going?”

I didn’t say anything. I just continued walking. When I was out of her house, a string of profanities flew from my mouth. I felt a hand in my right shoulder, turning me around.