Chapter 4 The Offer

I was driving home. I just went to watch a movie with Luna and Victoria. I still can't get over my excitement on having a car, eventhough it's not brand new, I still adore it. I was tapping on the wheel when the car slowed, the engine faltering until it finally died down. I looked around and found myself in front of the cemetery. Oh crap! Great, just great car! I was just thinking how much I adore you and you decided to do this. I went off my car and went in front. Okay, I feel stupid. I don't really know anything about car engines. I bit my lower lip and looked around again. Of course I won't see anyone here. Creeps! The cemetery's giving me the creeps. I started dialing numbers but either they're not answering or the lines busy.

“Need help?”

I jumped and screamed. A hand suddenly covered my mouth and another grabbed my arm.

“Jesus!” the voice breathed. “You scream like a pig!”

A what?! When the person let me go, I turned around and faced the insulting person. “What did you say I-” I stopped short as I saw Kwon Jiyong – again, in his all black getup. He got his black hood up but I can tell he got his long hair in a ponytail.

Should I faint? Should I run? Should I scream some more?

I didn't do any of those.

“What did you say I sound like?” I snapped.

“I said you scream like a pig” he said.

I flushed. “Well, you can't really blame me, can you? You sneaked up on me! You almost scared me to death!”

He just smirked.

“Where did you come from, anyways? How come I didn't see you?”

He just raised his brows.

“Did you come out from the. . . from the cemetery? And what are you doing here alone?”

“You talk too much” he frowned. “Got a toolbox?”

“Huh?” I asked blankly.

“Are you retarded?”

“Wh-what? I . . how dare you!”

“Do you know anything about car engines?”

“No” I blurted out unknowingly.

“Open the compartment” he ordered. I just followed. I saw a red box on it. “This is a toolbox. You should thank your father for putting it here”

“Oh, I didn't I have one”

He didn't say anything. I silently watched him work.

“Staring is rude” he snapped. “Didn't anyone tell you that?”

“Your attitude is an ass” I snapped back. “No wonder you don't have any friends”

He stopped and looked at me. I tensed at once. Ugh, stupid mouth! But then, he laughed. I relaxed a little but the tension didn't totally go away.

Dara, what the hell are you doing? This is a criminal you're talking to! You should be careful on what you say!”

“Owning a car requires the owner to learn a few things about engines”

“I can always call for help”

“But then, you don't know if someone will come to your rescue, do you?”

I didn't say anything.

“I'm done. Start your car and get out of here” he ordered. Fuming for his bossy attitude, I went in and started the engine. To my surprise, it worked. “Here” he said, passing the toolbox to me. He started walking away, his hands on his jacket pockets, head bowed. I hesitated but decided to be generous.