Chapter 5 The Porch

“Let's just postpone it” I heard Mom whispered.

“She'll understand” Dad insisted. “And the flight's tomorrow already”

“But I don't want to leave her alone” Mom whispered back.

“We'll be just gone for three days”

“Where are you going?” I finally entered the kitchen.

“Have you been eavesdropping?” Mom asked in her superior tone.

“A little” I shrugged. “So, where are you going?”

They exchanged glances but knowing them, Dad will be the one to spill it out.

“We're planning to have a three day get away, as a celebration for our wedding anniversary” Dad finally said.

“Really?” I exclaimed. “Wow! That's really sweet! I almost forgot it's your anniversary the next day”

“See? I told you she'll understand” Dad smugly turned to Mom.

“So, what's stopping you?”

“Your Mom's worried of leaving you behind”

I rolled my eyes. “Mom, I'm seventeen. I can take care of myself”

Mom looked hesitant. “I trust you dear. It's just that you've got a boyfriend now-”

“Mom, Jae's in London” I cut off. “And he's not my boyfriend. Yet”

“Oh” Mom mumbled then chewed on her lips. “But of course, there are house rules that you-”

“I already know everything Mom”

o=o=o

I drifted from one class to the other. Jae's not around. My parents already left. I hate being left alone. But at least I've still got my friends to talk to. As the school day ends, I went to ask them to hang out but Victoria and Krystal got dates; Luna got her cheerleading practice and Sulli got a sick brother to take care of. Since I don't want to wander around alone, I decided to go home. Friday nights are supposed to be fun, not boring.

I've been waiting for a call from Jae but so far, none. It's already ten in the evening. I'll give him 'til midnight. I glanced at my phone on my study table when my eyes caught the light flicked open in the room from the other house. With an idea springing up to my mind, I dashed downstairs and attacked the fridge. Dad usually keeps a generous number of canned beers. I don't think he'll notice I took some of his drinks. I closed the lights as I head out. I locked the door and hid the key under a pot and went to my neighbor.

I rang the doorbell thrice.

~JIYONG'S POV~

Odd. I think I heard a doorbell rang. But I know that's impossible. No one visits me. But when it rang twice again. I finally realized that someone's out in my porch. This is new. With hurried footsteps, I went down and opened the door. My shoulders fell as the girl grinned at me brightly, raising her arms to show me what she brought over.

“What?” I scowled. “Didn't I tell you not to bother me?”

Her face fell slightly but then she smiled gain. “I need a drinking buddy. You game?”

“I'm busy” I bit out.

“No, you're not” she said. “I saw you in your room. You were just lying in your bed”

“Well maybe because I want to sleep” I exaggeratedly sigh. “And have you been spying on me?”

“No” she quickly answered. “It's just so happens that I'm still awake when you came in. My parents left to celebrate their wedding anniversary and my friends are busy while Jae is in London, so I'm pretty much alone”