Chapter Sixty-seven

“What are you thinking about?” Gabby asked, tearing me out of my thoughts.

“Just that I’m happy we’re trying to make this work again.”

She smiled and then looked down, “You know how we said no more lies or secrets?”

“Yeah.”

I’m getting a little nervous about where she’s going with this.

“There’s something I think I need to tell you…”

“Okay.”

She took a deep breath, “When I went to Kaylee’s burial, there was someone else there. I am pretty sure it was a man and he was watching me. He was wearing a black trench coat and a hat and he was stood by a tree not too far from me. It had started to rain by the time I was starting to go back to my car. The rain was falling fast and hard around me and I had forgotten an umbrella, but all of the sudden it stopped. When I looked up, there was a black umbrella held above my head keeping me dry. Obviously I was curious as to who had been kind enough to do that, and when I turned around it was the man in the trench coat. He smiled at me, but something about his smile wasn’t right. I remember when I got to my car and he placed his hand on my shoulder. It scared me half to death, but all he did was say he was sorry for my loss. I thanked him and hurriedly got back in my car because something about him just didn’t go over well with me. After I was inside, I locked the doors and turned the heat on, but I watched him walk back to his car before I left.”

Gabby saw a man watching her. Not only does that make my skin crawl, it also makes me more worried that Jaycee was right and there really was someone watching us. I was trying not to believe it, but now there’s proof that it has happened.

What if this is the same man that has my sister? But if it were, wouldn’t he have taken Gabby when he had the opportunity?

“Did you see what he was driving?” I asked.

“It was a beat up white pick-up truck.”

“I know this is crazy, but did you happen to get the license plate number?”

“Yeah, I did…but I don’t know what I did with it. I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay, we still might be able to figure something out. Have you seen him anywhere else?”

“Well, I thought about that last night, and I realised that I’ve seen the same car a lot lately. It was almost always outside of the apartment and I saw it down the street in front of a different house a few days ago. I could just be paranoid and thinking it was the same truck, though.”

I cupped her face in my hands, “I don’t think you’re paranoid, I think you’re onto something. Even if that’s all you know, it’s better than nothing. I’ll talk to the lads about it in a little while and see what else we can find out.”

“Why don’t you just do it now?” she quizzed with a puzzled expression.

“Cause I’m going to be busy for the next few minutes.”

“Doing what?”

I smirked before pushing her off of my lap onto the couch and crawling over top of her. A smile replaced her shocked expression as I leaned down to connect our lips. Her hands went to my jaw, pulling me closer as our lips moved in sync with each other. She gently tugged on my bottom lip with her teeth, receiving a groan from me.

My hands pushed the bottom of her shirt up, allowing me to kiss the skin on her stomach. Her breathing was getting heavier as I left soft kisses along her abdomen. Just as my fingers finished unzipping her jeans, my phone started to ring. I sighed, dammit.

I was tempted to ignore it, but then I thought about what happened last time one of us ignored a phone call. That might not happen again in the exact same way, but something bad could happen if I don’t answer it.

“I’ll be back,” I told Gabby.

I got up from the couch and went into the kitchen to grab my phone off the counter.

“What?” I snapped into the receiver.

“Somebody got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning,” Louis replied in his usual sarcastic tone.

“Did you need something or are you just trying to be a pain in the ass?”

“Remind me again why Gabby puts up with you?”

“Lou…”

“Sorry, sorry. Okay, I just called to see if there were any updates on the houseguest.”

“She left a while ago. Her family picked her up and that was it.”

“So you didn’t find out anything at all?”

“Well…I didn’t exactly find out anything, but Gabby knows something. Is Liam there?”

“Yeah, he’s in the other room on his laptop. Do you need him?”

“I think he can help us figure out who this guy is, so yeah.”

“Alright, I’ll go get him.”

I went into the sitting room and motioned for Gabby to follow me. She got up from the couch and went upstairs into the bedroom with me. I took my laptop out of my suitcase and placed it on the bed, sitting down in front of it. Gabby sat down next to me and watched the laptop start up curiously.

“Harry?” Liam’s voice came through the speaker.

“Yeah. Can you help me find out who’s following me and Gabby?”

“I can try. What do you know about them?”

“I’m going to put you on speaker, she knows more than I do,” I informed him as I pressed the button and set the phone down in front of us.

“It’s just Liam; he’s going to try to help us find this guy, but you have to tell him everything you can remember,” I told her calmly.

She nodded in agreement, but I could tell she was nervous by the way she was twiddling her thumbs.

“Okay, first question. Male or female?” Liam asked.

“Male,” Gabby responded.

“How old did he look?”

“Um…maybe mid-thirties.”

“Was he wearing a wedding ring or anything else that might make you think he was married?”

Liam kept asking her questions to try and identify the man as I moved my hand along Gabby’s back to help her stay calm. She was doing good for never having been in this type of situation before. Most people would have had a nervous break down by now.

Everything on my laptop screen was showing exactly what Liam was doing. He was trying to match the car model with the type of man Gabby described and just waiting for the information to finish processing.

“Done,” Liam announced.

“Oh my God…That’s him,” Gabby gasped.