Chapter Forty

“Gabby?” Harry’s voice tore me out of my thoughts.

“What?” I said completely out in left field.

“I asked you to marry me…?” he stated like I should have known.

Damn my imagination. That was all just my fantasy. That was what I was thinking could happen if this worked out the way I wanted it to, but I knew that wouldn’t happen.

Those thoughts were too good to be true. Harry would do something to break me again. I just know it and I don’t want to have to deal with that, not again.

I took a deep breath and exhaled before looking back up at him. This was it.

“No, Harry. I’m not going to marry you. I’m not going to come crawling back to you just because you think you can ask me to marry you and make everything okay. It’s not okay and it isn’t going to be okay. You and I both know it, too. Coming here to find me was a mistake…you should just go back to England where you belong.”

“That’s where you belong too…you belong with me…”

“I don’t know that I do. I found someone else who makes me happy and…and you should too.”

“You make me happy. You make me laugh. You’re the only one who can do that…Please, baby, don’t do this.”

“I’m sorry, Harry, but I’m not your baby anymore.”

The words sliced through my heart as I said them, but he needed to hear it. He needed to know that I moved on and that there was someone out there for me who wouldn’t treat me the way he did.

I can’t keep going back to him after he does something wrong. That’s what I’ve been doing and look where it got me. I became the school slut.

But now…now I’m in America and I have Shawn. Now I’m free from him.

“I’ll do anything…just please don’t go,” he begged.

“I have to…goodbye Harry.”

I turned and walked away quickly, failing to stop the tears from rolling down my cheeks. I know I ended it two weeks ago back at my house, but it still hurt.

I wish it wouldn’t hurt so much. I wish it didn’t have to be like this. I wish…I wish it were easier to let someone you love with all your heart and soul go. But it isn’t easy at all. It hurts like Hell.

Harry’s POV