Chapter Ten

It was almost midnight when I left Harry’s house. We just laid back on the bed and talked the whole time. At first it was about the chemistry project and what we’re going to do, but eventually it just turned into random things.

All in all, it was a great night that we spent together just doing nothing. Sure, the beginning was a little rough, but I needed to hear it and I’m 99.99% positive that Harry needed to get it off of his chest.

So, really we both helped each other out in the long run. When I told him I should go home, he gave me a puppy dog face and asked me to stay a little longer, but I knew my dad would be on a rampage when I got back if I had agreed to stay.

When I got inside the house and locked the door, I leaned against it for a second just taking a break to breathe.

I’ve been so overwhelmed lately that it felt good to just breathe for a change instead of suffocating under all the stress. A minute or so passed and I got myself to head toward the steps and upstairs to my bed. We did have school tomorrow after all and it was now twelve, on the dot.

As soon as I set my foot on the first step, the light in the kitchen clicked on and I saw my dad sitting at the table with a book. He placed a slip of paper in the book, marking his place, and closed it, placing it down on the table in front of him and folding his hands.

Was he reading in the dark, or did he plan to interrogate me again so he just made it look that way?

“You’re back quite late for a school night, young lady. Who are you partnered with this time?” he inquired.

“I’m afraid that’s none of your concern. It won’t happen again,” I uttered, annoyed already at his progressing investigation.

“Okay, fine. Let me ask you this then, why do I smell that same cologne?”

I opened my mouth to say something, but no words came out. As I had dreaded, I was at a loss for words to accompany an acceptable excuse.

“Gabriella, are you sneaking out to see a boy?”

I sighed, “Yes.” It’s not like I could really lie about it without being able to back up the reason for the masculine scent.

“Who is he?”

“I do believe that’s my business, not yours.”

“Very well. But I expect this lad to be coming over here from now on rather than you going to his house.”

“Do you not trust me?”

“No, it’s him that I do not trust. Young lads are quite deceiving.”

“I would stop it if things went too far, you should know that.”

“I’ll take it into consideration, but as of now he may see you only by coming to this house and this house only.”