Chapter Forty-nine

I’m sure no one will read what I’m about to say, but I need to get it off my chest. If you don’t like the way the story is going then you can stop reading. Don’t you dare come at me and cuss me out and then tell me to stop writing. I mean, seriously you’re going to say that the story is stupid and say ‘fuck you and this stupid fucking story’? Who the fuck do you think you are to do that or let alone talk to anyone like that?! It’s rude and ridiculous. I just can’t even…UGH! If you actually read this, thanks for taking the time to read my rant. Sorry for wasting thirty seconds of your life. xD

**ONE YEAR LATER**

“Harry, you should come back here and hang out with us,” Zayn said through the phone.

I sighed, “I know I should, but I can’t.”

“She’s not coming back, mate. You’ve got to face that sooner or later. The faster you get over it, the quicker we can find you a new girl.”

“I don’t want another girl.”

“Well the girl you want doesn’t want you.”

“What the fuck, Zayn?”

“I’m just telling you the truth, Harry. You need to get out of America and come back with us. I mean, do you really think she’s going to come looking for you after all this time?”

“I don’t know,” I sighed again and rubbed my face with my hand. Why is he being so damn annoying?

“Yes you do. You know she won’t, you’re just in denial. You’ve been in denial for a year-”

“A year and three weeks,” I murmured.

“Whatever. You just need to move on. Go out to a bar and find a girl. Look for someone to use as a rebound. I don’t give a shit what you do, just stop moping and sitting on your ass doing nothing; it’s not going to get you anywhere.”

“Wow. Thanks for the encouragement.”

“Just get your shit together already,” he said sternly before hanging up.

I tossed my phone onto the bed before collapsing onto it and staring up the plain white ceiling with my hands behind my head.

I know I’m stupid for staying here and waiting for her to come after me when I know it won’t happen. I knew I was going to lose her long before I even lost her. I just had that little string of hope that she would come after me at some point. Who am I kidding? I always had to chase after her. She wasn’t going to chase after me.

* * *

This was a stupid idea. She probably doesn’t even live here anymore.

I paced the hallway outside of her apartment door, raking my hands through my hair. What the hell am I doing here? She should be coming to me. But she’s not going to.

I just want to make sure she’s okay. But then again, why wouldn’t she be? She’s better off without me, I’m sure of it.

After contemplating my options a little longer, I decided this was useless and turned to leave.

“Harry?”

It was her. That was her voice. It had to be…unless I’m going mad which I very well could be at this point.

I turned around, and sure enough, there she was. She had a box in her hands that was closed and taped up.

“What are you doing here?” she asked softly.

“I came to visit a friend. I was just leaving,” I lied.

“Oh… How are you? I mean, how have you been doing?”

Just sitting in a hotel room wishing I could turn back time and have made you stay that night. Missing you like crazy every morning. Dreaming that you would come back to me.

“I’ve been fine,” I said instead.

“That’s great.”

She looked fine. I noticed she was wearing more makeup than usual, but other than that she looked perfectly fine. I’m sure I looked fine to her too, but inside I wasn’t fine; I was a mess.

“Yeah…are you moving?” I questioned, referring to the box in her hands.

“Um…yes, I am. I found a new apartment.”

“That’s nice.”

She nodded and there was a long, awkward silence between us. I knew I shouldn’t have come here. Just as I opened my mouth to tell her I should go, she spoke again.

“I, uh, I had a baby.”

Inside I felt like I was just stabbed in the heart. I knew she would have moved on, but so quickly and going into having a baby already? That just shocks me.

“Boy or girl?” I can’t help myself, I have to know.

“A girl.”

“Well congratulations. I hope you and your boyfriend are happy,” I said as nicely as I could even though I didn’t really mean it. I don’t want her to be with anyone else, but I guess Zayn was right; she moved on.

Gabby half laughed, “I don’t have a boyfriend.”

“Oh…”

“That baby was yours,” she said completely avoiding eye contact with me by looking at the ground.

“What? How?”

“That pregnancy test was wrong. I had her in November.”

“Can I…can I see her?”

“Um…” her voice was shaking and I could tell she was crying already, “No…you can’t…because she died.”

DON’T TOUCH ME. I AM CRYING. I CAN’T DEAL. Bye. *curls up in a ball and cries*