Chapter Eleven

I knew what I had to do. I know what I have to do. It's just so hard.

My whole drive to school so far I've been fighting back the tears threatening the brim of my eyelids.

The radio didn't work as a distraction because there was some sappy love song playing and I just can't handle it.

I don't understand why this is bothering me so much. We just met a month ago, only a month ago. Why can't I just shake him off like any other guy I've liked? It'd make everything so much easier if I had that ability right now.

This morning I had to put on foundation, which I never wear, just to hide the red and puffiness of my eyes from all the crying.

It hurts so bad to do this, but I know I have to. I don’t know the depth of my actual feelings for him, but I know that they’re deep enough to hurt like hell.

As I pulled the keys out of the ignition on my car, I flipped down my mirror and fixed my mascara quickly before hopping out of the car. I grabbed my bag and shut the door.

When I looked up my eyes caught the gaze of Harry’s. He wasn’t far from me across the parking lot.

I inhaled a sharp breath as I forced myself to break the lock our eyes had on one another and looked away, turning to walk in the opposite direction toward the school. I had just made it to the crosswalk when a hand wrapped around my arm and spun me around. I bit back my tears, already knowing who it was.

Harry’s eyes searched mine, which I’m sure were glassy at least. His hand moved from its hold on my arm to gently caress my cheek.

“What’s wrong?” he asked obvious worry in his voice.

As much as it pained me to do it, I turned my face away from his touch.

“Please don’t do that,” I whispered, still not looking at him

“What?” he asks confused.

“Don’t act like it never happened, that I wasn’t in a coma, that I didn’t forget everything about you, because I did, Harry. I don’t know who you are.”

His voice lowered to a whisper, “No, Gabby, you don’t have to do this…”

I shook my head whilst biting my lip, “I’m sorry, Harry, but I do…”

Before he could say anything else, I turned away and ran straight across the road and into the school building.

I kept up my pace with the tears streaming down my face until I reached the safety of the girl’s bathroom. I let my back slide down the wall opposite the door as the tears cascaded down my cheeks like a waterfall.

“What did he do?” I heard Abby’s familiar voice break through my sobbing.