Chapter Twenty-eight

Start from the beginning

Harry’s POV

I sighed at the caller ID on my phone. This is going to be a hell of a conversation.

“I have to take this,” I told Gabby.

She nodded and I could tell she was annoyed.

I wish I could tell her more, but it’s all so dangerous. If she knows too much she could get herself into trouble, but then again if she knows too little she could endanger herself by searching for answers.

I went into the bedroom and closed the door so there wasn’t a chance she would hear anything she wasn’t supposed to hear.

“What do you want?” I snapped into the receiver.

“Hello to you too Harry,” she replied sarcastically.

“Get to the point, Allie or I’m hanging up.”

“I wouldn’t do that I were you. Something might happen to your new toy if you don’t listen to me, babe.”

“Don’t call me babe and she’s not a toy.”

“Last time I checked you can’t tell me what to do.”

“Allison,” I said in a warning tone.

“Oh, calm down. I didn’t even do anything to you, you did it to me.”

“I know.”

“Well then I have earned the right to be bitchy.”

“Can you just get on with it?”

“Someone’s in a mood. Anyways, you need to tell Gabby.”

“I know that.”

“No you don’t. You need to tell her right now and don’t twist anything either. If you don’t, I will and I won’t forget to mention how you’ve been playing her this whole time.”

“I’m not playing her; she knows what my job is.”

“But does she know about Jason? Ooh, have you told her about Sophia? What about Caroline? Oh, and don’t forget the part about your family.”

I wanted to scream at her. None of that needs to be disclosed; not yet at least. Sophia and Caroline are none of her concern. Jason is something she’s never supposed to find out about. And my family…no one knows about them; no one needs to know.

“You have until midnight or I promise you, I will make your life a living hell just like you did to me.”

“I didn’t tell you to run away.”

She laughed, “I didn’t tell you to get with my sister, but you did it anyway.”

There was a click on the other line and I ended the call on my end. I felt like breaking something, anything just to ease the anger boiling in my veins. She was such a manipulative bitch.

I stuffed the phone in my pocket and went back into the sitting room where Gabby was watching something on TV.

If I tell her, it’s now or never. I sat on the opposite side of the sofa and she looked at me, but didn’t say anything. It didn’t seem like she was mad, just curious.

“That was Allie,” I informed her and she looked surprised that I even told her.

“Oh…” she replied. I could tell she wanted to ask what we talked about, but she didn’t.

“I have to tell you something,” I blurted.

“Okay…”

“You know how the other day Allie called me her ‘leftovers’ or whatever?”

“Yeah, I remember.”

I took a deep breath; I’m not sure how this would go over with Gabby.

“She and I used to date…”

“I…um…okay…?”

“There’s more. When we were dating I was staying at your house with the two of you as a temporary house until I found somewhere else to go. One day Allie told me she was going to the store to get something for your mum. I was bored and your door was open so I went into your room. You were surprised I came in, but then you asked me to read something you wrote and see if it was any good. I ended up agreeing to do just that and sat next to you on your bed. You kept glancing at me and biting your lip and I knew you were only fourteen, but I kissed you and Allie saw. It wasn’t just a kiss, though. We more so made out and she walked in. Then your dad kicked me out and Allie ran away.”

“So…you cheated on my sister with me when I was fourteen?”

“Yeah…”

“But I thought you had the job to protect me?”

“I didn’t have that job yet; I had others. When I got the job to protect you, you were almost sixteen.”

“And you never had feelings for me?”

“No…I didn’t…I thought you were attractive, but I didn’t actually have any feelings for you.”

“What about now? You’re not lying to me again are you?” she asked with tears in her eyes.

“No, baby,” I said pulling her onto my lap, “I’m not lying, I love you.”

“You promise?”

“No…I swear.”