Chapter Twenty-One

"Oh Victoria, you have grown up so very beautiful! Are you excited to marry!" Mary, Leader Dale's wife smiles but her tone of voice tells me its more of a statement than a question.

"Yes, so excited" I lie as I look at the short plumb women with hazel eyes and borderline grey hair coming through her ebony ringlets.

"Fantastic! I heard you are struggling to find a husband but don't fret I think I know a man you can marry. My nephew Robert he is twenty-one and a very lovely man" she continues.

I just force myself to smile.

"Excuse me Mary but I need my daughter for a few minutes" mum says as she grabs my shoulders and leads me away.

"Thank you!" I whisper.

"You are very welcome, sorry I wasn't home when you got home earlier, did you have fun with Cole" she smiles but her eyebrow is raised.

I look at the ground and blush.

"Hm I thought so" she says, "you are really in love with him" she adds more as a statement than question.

"With all my heart and soul mum" I say.

She bites her lip and smiles, "you are so much like me. I was seventeen when Josh and I dated."

"Mum do you see Josh often?" I ask.

Mum's eyes water over and she makes a pained expression making me regret asking.

"Yes, at the beginning. Quite often. It killed me when I saw him around town especially after I returned back from my honeymoon with your father.

It killed him when he saw your father and I together. Josh left town once he heard rumours I was pregnant. Though he did come back a few years ago for a visit, I think Antony was seven so you were around six.

I was out with you both at the shops and I felt a tap on the shoulder and turned around to face the man that stole my heart.

He smiled until he saw you two, he apologised and run off. That was the last time I saw him" mum frowns as she looks away as a tear falls.

"I'm so sorry mum" I frown.

"Don't be honey. I got you and your brother so I'm happy. Though I will support you and Cole, like my parents should have done with me and Josh" mum smiles.

I give her a small smile and notice everyone starting to walk into the building.

Mum and I follow everyone and sit down at the front next to my father and brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The ceremony lasts for at least three hours and its reaching eight at night, the young kids are yarning and starting to act up because they are tired.

As we think its about to end my father is called up to the stage to talk. Everyone perks up and sits up straighter.

Antony rolls his eyes at everyone's behaviour I nudge him as I feel someone staring at me. I turn around and my eyes catch summer grass-green eyes.

My breath hitches as I look at this stranger. He looks around twenty, standing tall and proud at around 6'1. He has short waves of brown hair and a pleasant smile.

I blush, smile and quickly look away and turn my attention to my father. I can't concentrate on what he is saying because I'm watching from the corner of my eye as the guy walks through the aisle and sits next to Mary and Leader Dale.

I tilt my head and look at him as he whispers to Mary. They both look over and catch me staring. I hold the guy's gaze for a few minutes until I realise. I quickly look away as I blush.