Chapter Fourteen

All night I expect my Father to come into my room and scream at me. I sit on my bed, staring at the door and hugging my knees in fear.

Both mum and Antony stay clear of me as well.

Worst thing is, I don't even have my phone, I was too scared to grab it from Antony's room on the way past. So I couldn't even ask Antony what was happening.

Around midnight I lose the fight to stay awake and fall into unconsciousness.

The next morning, I wake to someone sitting on my bed. I'm terrified to open my eyes in case it's father. But the smell of the aftershave, tells me it's Antony.

I slowly open one eyes and look up, Antony is smiling at me.

"Damn sis! Who knew? Although I knew you would snap one day" he laughs.

I just close my eye and groan. Turning over I bury my head into my pillow. Antony pats my back, I can hear him giggling still.

After a few minutes, Antony clears his throat, "umm Sis, you better get up, he wants to talk to you" Antony says.

"About what?" I say as I sit up.

Antony just raises his eyebrow, "take a guess."

I frown at him, "oh..yeah."

"Hurry up!" Antony nudges me before he gets up and leaves my room.

I drag myself out of bed. Not looking forward to head being ripped off, I stay dressed in my pjs and make my way down stairs. Mum and Antony must be hiding in their rooms because the house is empty and quiet as I walk through it.

I find father in the kitchen.

He has his back to me, "Victoria, please sit" he says without looking at me but I nod anyway.

I try not to drag my feet as I walk over but all my instincts are telling me to run the other way. Slowly I sit at the table across from him.

He still hasn't looked at me. We sit in a awkward silence for a few more minutes until he finally looks up.

"What you said yesterday, is all that true? Is that how you really feel?" his voice filled with emotion. I've never heard this tone before...

I just nod my head yes, not trusting my voice.

"How do you know about my sister?" he frowns.

"I went through the family tree and noticed her, so I researched her and filled in the missing pieces myself" I lie. Last year when we were doing a spring clean, I came across the family records. I was to uninterested to look at them but surly his sister was on it.

He just nods. Thank god.

"She was my world Victoria. I idolised her, looked up to her and loved her, when she died I felt like I died to...I actually wanted to. I never stood up to my father. I watch him beat her, I listened to her cry. I wish I spoke up but I cannot change the past but I can influence the future. Victoria I will not force you to marry someone you do not love but you have to marry. It's our way. I see now you are not ready, to young even. We can postpone it until you're nineteen no later. You have two years to find someone you love" he says looking into my eyes.

Unable to hold his gaze, I look at my lap when I notice his tears. "Okay Father" I whisper.

He gets up from the table, walks behind my chair and gives me a small kiss on the top of my head. I tense up but he doesn't seem to notice.

Then he walks out the kitchen without a look back. I stay sitting reliving what just happened in my mind.

That didn't go as I expected..I expected a grounding, even a beating to be honest. I did swear at him. Instead he was calm and considerate and he even kissed me..he's never done that. Maybe I don't know him like I thought I did.