Chapter Five

Even though I went to bed early, I didn't exactly sleep. Instead I spent half the night writing in my diary so when it came to the next morning, I could barely get up. By the time I manage to drag my sleepy body out of bed, it was half past seven. Which is an hour and half later than my usual get up time. Shuffling my feet I walk into my bathroom and have insanely quick shower.

After five minutes, I turn the water off and get out. With just a towel wrapped around my naked body, I walk out of the bathroom then run to my wardrobe.

I dress in my pale blue three-quarter jeans and short-sleeve white lace shirt. I leave my wet hair out to dry naturally and put on limited make up. I don't plan to do much today other than my usual routine of learning how to sow, maybe learn another recipe and try not to fail. I really wish mum would teach me how to cook!  I might even sneak off through the back gate in our garden if I have a chance and go for a run.

Once I'm decent enough, I leave my room and make my way downstairs and into the kitchen, to start prepping lunch. Today is my turn to make lunch and I'll going to attempt something other than sandwiches.

Unfortunately my father is already in there, sitting at the small table in the corner, "Good you're up. Cole is working at eight so you need to babysit Emily. Now Victoria what I'm about to offer you is...unusual, and I'm not going to force you to go" he says.

I look at him confused since when doesn't he jump at the opportunity to force me to do something, "Okay father?"

"Cole, works long hours and with his new promotion, he has to work a lot earlier and is unable to get Emily ready for school. I suggested that you can stay the night when he has to work early, like tomorrow. I know you must be extremely uncomfortable about the thought so I won't make you. It is completely up to you. Be reassured that you are staying in your own room and Cole knows not to do anything, not that he would. I trust Cole, we may not have the same values but he respects mine" father smiles.

I pull a face and pretend to be disgusted by the idea but inside I'm screaming and jumping for joy.

"If he has promised not to do anything and you trust him, then yes. After all I do need the practice" I say.

Father just nods at me. He doesn't say anything else, so I start to leave. Thinking back to yesterday, I decide to ask.

"Father, I'm eighteen this year.. have you found me a um...husband?" I ask.

"No not as yet, why?" he says looking directly at me with his eyebrows raised.

"This is just hypothetical but what if I marry about a man like Cole?" I try to ask casually.

He surprises me by laughing.

"Funny, Victoira. Even if a man like Cole would agree to an arranged marriage, which I highly doubt. He won't met the needs. He doesn't share our believes and values plus he had a child out of wedlock" father says still laughing.

"Okay, thats good to know" I fake smile and walk out.

So looks like I'm going to rebel against my father and the religion to be with Cole but at least I know I have Antony on my side no matter what.

I start to walk up the stairs when Antony walks down them. We smile at each other, as he grabs my head and tilts his head indicating to follow him, so I walk back down the stairs.

"I'm taking you to Cole's on my way to college" he smiles at me with his backpack on his back.

"Yay!" I smirk.