Chapter 16: My Hubby's Not Giving Me a Break

"This here's Nan Gongzi, heir to the Nan Gong family in Chaozhou, 13th gen. The dude next to him's Bai Chen, Commissioner Bai's third son. Those two holding up Chenyu are Yan Zhenyu and Zhen Xi. We've been tight for generations, and they're all Chenyu's buds."

Then Jiang Lao turns to introduce the girl beside him, "And this is..."

In his drunken haze, Jiang Chenyu squints at his obedient wife.

Before Jiang Lao can finish, he demands, "You causing trouble again while I was out?"

Gu Nuannuan: "..."Her man's really giving her a hard time!

Jiang Chenyu doesn't wait for Gu Nuannuan's answer, asking domineeringly, "Speak up, who'd you piss off this time? I'll sort 'em out for you."

The living room goes eerily quiet.

Turns out drunk Jiang Chenyu's like this.

Even his four bros are shocked, all turning to look at their drunk mate.

Inner bro thoughts: Big bro, your missus is the one who's upset, why are you sticking up for her?

Gu Nuannuan blinks and purses her lips, cutely shaking her head. "I'm a good girl, didn't upset anyone."

Now that Jiang Lao didn't bother with the intro, everyone knows the obedient girl there is their mate's wife who left home.

But!

She looks too young, like a student.

Nan Gongzi: "Jiang Lao, bold question, is she legal?"

This question's a bit out there.

Jiang Lao coughs harshly, and Gu Nuannuan knows how awkward Jiang Lao feels. She pipes up, "I'm twenty, old enough to tie the knot."

Then, she introduces herself, "Hey, folks, I'm Jiang Chenyu's wifey, Gu Nuannuan."

Jiang Chenyu's a bit dizzy from the booze, legs a bit wobbly.

Wei Aihua and Mayor Jiang roll in.

Wei Aihua, married for eons, clocks something's off as soon as she arrives.

Only she can sense the weirdness among the fam.

Though she's reluctant, she steps up to remind Gu Nuannuan, "Go support Chenyu."

Gu Nuannuan turns around confused, eyes blank, like asking: Why?

Wei Aihua feels this girl can argue like two people but can't hold a candle to her when it comes to doing stuff.

After a moment, Gu Nuannuan finally realizes supporting Jiang Chenyu is wifely duty.

She grits her teeth, realizing she hadn't realized it herself.

She hurries over to Zhen Xi and Yan Zhenyu, eyeing her hubby in the middle. She reaches out, unsure what to do.

Zhen Xi and Yan Zhenyu seem to be teasing Gu Nuannuan, letting go of their hands at the same time.

Jiang Chenyu leans forward, falling right into Gu Nuannuan's arms.

"Whoopsie." Gu Nuannuan's pushed, instinctively taking a couple steps back to steady herself.

Hearing her, people chuckle, even Wei Aihua, who isn't her fan, can't help but smile.

Jiang Chenyu hugs Gu Nuannuan's slim shoulders, "Let's go to the bedroom."

Jiang Lao speaks up, "Nuannuan, take Chenyu back first."

Gu Nuannuan's frustrated. "Dad, I can't carry him."