Chapter 3: Married by Order Only

In front of his father, he called his assistant and canceled the acquisition of the Gu family.

Jiang Chenyu stood up and said, "Don't expect me to treat her well. She doesn't deserve it." With that, he left his father's study.

Outside, he saw the woman who had been waiting by the wall.

Gu Nuannuan also looked at him, her clear eyes holding flames of anger and endurance.

He glanced at her and walked away.

Gu Nuannuan then entered the study. "Jiang Lao, you said that as long as I married into the family..."

Before Gu Nuannuan could finish, Jiang Lao interrupted coldly, "From now on, this matter is not to be mentioned to anyone in the family. The crisis in the Gu family has been resolved, and Chenyu will not do this again."

As he was about to leave, Gu Nuannuan stubbornly blocked Jiang Lao's path. "Words are just empty promises. You have to give me a written guarantee."

After she said this, even the butler was stunned. She didn't trust the master's words.

No one likes to have their words doubted, especially someone as high-ranking as Jiang Lao. A mere servant girl demanding a written guarantee from him made Jiang Lao's face darken. The butler immediately intervened, knowing that the master had a bad temper and fearing that he would lose his temper with the new bride.

"Second Young Madam, Master always keeps his word. You'll understand over time. Since Master said he will protect the Gu family, there's no need for a written guarantee. Now that you're part of the family, let's not do anything to hurt the relationship," the butler said, signaling to Gu Nuannuan not to be stubborn.

Gu Nuannuan accepted the butler's kindness and remained silent.

Instead, it was Jiang Lao who angrily left the study.

In the bedroom, Jiang Lao said angrily, "If it weren't necessary, how could our Jiang family accept such a daughter-in-law?"

The butler tried to calm Jiang Lao down. "Please calm down, Second Young Madam is young and straightforward. She married into the Jiang family for reasons unknown to others, but we know. From her perspective, it's understandable. After all, until today, she was still a child of the Gu family. On her wedding night, she learned that her family was going to be acquired by her husband. Naturally, she was anxious."

This slightly eased Jiang Lao's anger. "Send two people to guard their rooms. We can't afford any more incidents tonight."

"Yes."

Gu Nuannuan knew she had displeased Jiang Lao, but she still couldn't shake her unease.

What if, over time, the Jiang family forgot their promises and didn't keep their word?

But she knew she dared not go to Jiang Lao again.

As Gu Nuannuan was walking, she suddenly heard a commotion downstairs.

Curious, she went to the railing to look down.

It was Jiang Chenyu.

He was about to leave.

The butler and the mayor were blocking his way.

"Second Young Master, tonight is your wedding night. You should be with the Second Young Madam. It's not auspicious for the newlyweds to leave on their wedding night," the butler said, having just learned from a servant that Jiang Chenyu intended to leave.

The mayor, coincidentally passing by, also intervened. "Chenyu, you're in your thirties. Can't you be more mature? Nuannuan is your wife now, and you have to take responsibility for her. If you leave tonight, how will you face her tomorrow at the Jiang family?"