4. Hello, Brother

Natalie's POV

I walk back into the party right as I see Jeremy stumble in with a bleeding Vicki in his arms and Elena running behind him, shouting for help. I run over, pushing Tyler out of my way so I can see the wound. When I see the wound, I immediately know I have to put pressure on it but the wound has to be free of debris.

"Let me take a look." I push Elena aside, taking a closer look at the wound. "It looks like something bit her." Elena says, shaking as tears run down her face. I look at the wound, frowning when I see marks similar to teeth disguised by hidden blood. Shaking my head and ignoring matts pleas for someone to ring an ambulance, I quickly rip of my tied shirt and I hold it tight against Vicki's neck.

"Vicki? Can you open your eyes?" I call, taping her cheek. I turn to Elena to ask her about the ambulance when my eyes catch Stefan who is staring at Vicki in horror as if he was in pain. Like he's in pain and not Vicki.

Once again, his eyes start to change and instead of gawking like everyone else, he stumbles away. I stare after him for a moment before turning my attention back to Vicki. I increase the pressure and keep trying to wake her up as I hear ambulance sirens in the distance.

******

Stefan's POV

What the hell happened out there? What had bit Vicki? Or rather, who had bit Vicki? I question as I enter my bedroom, breathing heavily. Just as I close my door, I realise something isn't right and look behind me to see my balcony doors are open.

A large black crow flies past my ear, and lands on the wooden beams that support the roof. I stare at it before another uneasy feeling fills my body. As I turn around, my eyes meet the one person I didn't want to see again. "Damon."

"Hello, brother." Damon says as he smirks smugly. "Crows a bit much, don't you think?" I quip, as the crow squawks from the balcony fence. Damon walks in my room, touching anything he can get his hands on. "Wait till you can see what I can do with the fog."

"When'd you get here?" I ask, my eyebrow raised. "Well, I couldn't miss your first day at school." Damon replies sarcastically, before looking me up and down. "Your hair's different, I like it." He says making me sigh wearily. "It's been fifteen years, Damon."

"Thank god!" He exclaims, scowling at the thought of that time. "I couldn't take another day of the nineties. That horrible grunge look? Did not suit you. Remember Stefan, it's important to say away from fads." He points at me.

"Why are you here?" I demand and Damon pouts at me. "I miss my little brother." He says. "You hate small towns." I remind him. I have to get Damon away from Mystic Falls sooner rather than later. I need to keep my brother away from Natalie, at any cost. "It's boring. There's nothing for you to do."

"I've managed to keep myself busy." Damon smirks and it was then and there that I knew it was Damon in the woods. "You know...you left that girl alive tonight. That's very clumsy of you." I shake my head in disappointment. "Ah." Damon smiles guilty but I know it's fake. "That can be a problem...for you."

"Why are you here now?" I demand again. "I could ask you the same question." Damon stares, no longer joking. "However, I'm fairly certain your answer can be summed up in one little word...Natalie." Damon's eyes broadened. "She is one sexy firecracker!"

He walks over to my personal library, knowing he's annoying me the more he rambles on. "I was confused at first because Elena, was it? She took my breath away. She's a dead ringer for Katherine. But you toss her aside for the sexier, older twin who looks nothing like Katherine. It is working, Stefan? Falling for someone else?"

"Elena is not Katherine. And stay away from Natalie." I warn, more concerned about Natalie but Damon ignores me. "Well, let's hope she's not. We both know it's been a while since you dated, don't want to be seen hooked on her lookalike." He says as he walks closer to me, his smile getting more devilish the closer he gets. "Tell me something. When's the last time you had something stronger than a squirrel?"

I sigh in frustration, turning away from Damon. "I know what you're doing, Damon. It's not gonna work." I tell him. "Yeah?" Damon pulls me back to face him forcefully. "Come on. Don't you crave a little? Don't you want to feel stronger for Natalie?" He questions. "Stop it!" I warn.

Damon pushes my shoulder, clearly waiting for a reaction. "Let's do it. Together. I saw a couple girls out there." He pushes me again. "Or just, let's cut to the chase. Let's just go straight for Natalie. All that attitude!"

"Stop it!" I plead, feeling rage start to surface in me as he moves closer to me. "Imagine what her blood tastes like?" He says as I feel my face changing. "I can. I will!" He yells. "I said stop!" I growl as my face morphs and then I fly myself and Damon out of my window, falling heavily onto the driveway.

Shaking the glass of my back, I groan, realising Damon isn't underneath me anymore or anywhere near him. "I was impressed." Damon says, and I look over to my right to see Damon casually leaning against the fence. "I give it a six. Missing style, but I was pleasantly surprised. Very good with the whole-" he pathetically growls, pretending his hand has claws. "-face thing. It was good."

I scowl at him making him chuckle at me. "You know, it's all fun and games, Damon, huh? But where ever you go, people die." I say. "That's a given." He shrugs carelessly. "Not here. I won't allow it." I declare, shaking my head. "I take that as an invitation." Damon says, looking slightly impressed for a second.

"Damon, please." I plead, my mind not shifting away from Natalie, thinking of similar moments in the past. "After all these years, can't we just give it a rest?" I ask. Damon tutts at me, smirking. "I promised you an eternity of misery, so I'm just keeping my word. Now, I may have let you off with Elena, but you really like Natalie, don't you? And that, brother, makes this even better!"

"Just stay away from Natalie. Stay away from her and her friends." I beg as Damon looks down and gasps dramatically. "Where's your ring?" He questions and I look down to see my finger ringless as Damon sucks in air through his teeth. "Oh, yeah. The suns coming up in a couple of hours, and poof, ashes to ashes."

I gulp nervously at what my brother could do next when Damon smiles, producing the ring in his hand, holding it out to me. "Relax. It's right here." I swallow heavily, looking down at the ring, wondering if this is a trick.

I hesitantly reach out and take the ring, placing it back on my middle finger. That's when Damon's face morphs, grabbing me by the throat and throws me against the garage. I bounce off the door, rolling towards Damon's feet.

"You should know better than to think you're stronger than me." Damon glares down at me. "You lost that fight when you stopped feeding on people. I wouldn't try it again." I hear Zach moving around the house and I know we've some our nephew up. "I think we woke Zach up?"

Damon looks back down at me. "Tell Natalie I'm dying to meet her!" He starts to walk back to the house and sarcastically shouts. "Sorry, Zach!"

I watch my brother walk away, before letting my body fall to the floor. I close my eyes in panic of Damon anywhere near Natalie, already picturing of what he would do to her.