71. Klaus Is My Brother

Natalie's POV

"How are you feeling?" I ask Elijah as I lean against the hood of my car, which is parked in the middle of the woods. "Do you need any more blood?" I offer but Elijah lightly waves his hand at me as he places the empty blood bag in his ruined suit. "I'm fine." He reaches into his other pocket and pulls out the dagger.

He silently twirls it around in his fingers as he takes a couple of slow steps towards me. "Where did you find this?" He inquires. "My biological father, John, was the one who gave it to Damon. John thought if he gave it to Damon, then he could get rid of both of you." I explain before rolling my eyes at the mere thought of John.

"He thought he was helping." I say scoffing, annoyance in my tone like always when I speak about him. "Enough about him. We need to have a talk that is way over due. We need to work together." I say seriously. Elijah stares at me in amusement as he folds his arms across his chest, his fingers still clasped around the dagger.

He tilts his head to the side as he continues to stare at me for a minute or two. "When did you get put in charge, Elskan?" He questions amused and I copy his actions and fold my arms across my chest as I answer Elijah with no humour in my voice. "The second Klaus thought it would be a good idea to kill one of my friends."

The woods falls silent for a few moments as Elijah processes what I just said as we continue to stare at each other. "I am sorry for what happened the last time we talked, Elijah." I say honestly before I shake my head with a heavy sigh. "My family were never gonna agree with accepting your help when they all thought they could save me and Elena on their own." I say before scoffing.

"You should have seen the way I ripped into them for messing it up." I murmur before I sigh. "They never should have daggered you in the first place. We needed your help with Klaus but they're too stubborn." I say and I let out a silent groan when Elijah doesn't say anything, just continues to stare at me. "I know you have all the answers I need and I know you are the key to keeping Elena alive."

Elijah twitches his head to the side with interest shining through his eyes when he hears the confidence in my voice. "And how did you figure that one out?" He inquires curiously. "Kathrine." I answer instantly seeing Elijah's widen slightly before we are interrupted by my phone ringing, yet again. "Sorry." I say before I glance down at the screen and see Stefan calling me.

I accept the call but don't get the chance to greet him as he starts to talk straight away. "Where are you, Laine? Are you okay? Did he hurt you?" He rambles questions and I roll my eyes at his rambling. I love how much Stefan worries for me but right now, it doesn't exactly help me. "I'm fine, baby." I assure him and I hear him let out a sigh of relief.

"Where's Elijah?" He questions firmly and I glance up at Elijah, who is clearly listening to the conversation. "He's with me." I tell Stefan. "Where?" He hurriedly asks as I hear shuffling on his end and there's no doubt he's quickly rushing to the door. "I'm on my way." He tells me. "I'm sorry, Stef, but this is something I need to do alone." I tell him softly.

"No, no, no." Stefan hurriedly mutters. "Listen to me, baby. He can't be trusted. He'll use you to get to Klaus." He tries to convince me and I release a small sigh as I feel like I'm having this conversation more than I should be. "I know you guys don't trust him, but this is my choice." I say, like I've said so many times before before shaking my head. "I need to work out some things and I can't do that with you or Damon breathing down my neck."

I hate speaking to him like, when I know he's just trying to protect me but I'm a big girl and can handle myself and this needs to be done. I wasn't just gonna go back home just because they didn't agree or like my plan. Sometimes I don't like their plans but I go along with it so now, they can along with mine for once.