50. BBQ

Natalie's POV

Because of my so-called remarkable cooking skills, Jenna roped me into helping her prepare food for the BBQ she's having today at our house. Jenna also invested Ric but for some reason, had also invited Mason. I didn't even know him and my aunt were friends.

"Why is Damon coming?" Jenna asks, setting up bowls while I pour chips into them. All Jenna felt for Damon was dislike, although she had admitted he was attractive before. I don't really know why she dislikes him considering he hasn't really done anything to her.

"Unfortunately, Ric is a pity taker." I tell her, throwing the bags away in the bin. "Try not to be annoyed by his useless options and massive ego." I add. "I will when he learns to keep his paws off of you." She tells me and I frown, shaking my head. "Thank you for helping, by the way. With your cooking, it'll impress everyone."

"No problem. If they don't like it, we can always act violently." I suggest and she nods. "Duh." She jokes but for some reason, I think she would use violence on them if they don't like the food. "Good news! I found the shot glasses!" Mason announces, setting the items on the kitchen counter.

"Oh, you better be sharing with me." I whisper to him, receiving an unimpressed look from my aunt. "Only when Jenna isn't looking, beautiful." Mason whispers back, winking at me. "Absolutely not." Alaric asserts as he joins us, shaking his head as he does making me sigh dramatically.

"Darn you, Ric. I thought we were close." I joke as Mason hands me a shot. I take it with grin as Alaric and Jenna give me a warning look. "Don't." Alaric warns me. I look from the shot glass to Alaric and Jenna before I start running, trying not to spill my shot.

"Natalie!" They both shout as they start cashing me around the house. I hear Mason laughing amused as he leans back against the counter, watching the two adults chase me. "The fun has arriv-" Damon starts to announce as he walks in the house but gets cuts off as I run past him.

"Hi, Dames!" I greet, as he watches Jenna and Alaric chase me in confusion. "Uh, hi, Tia." He greets bask confused. "Nat, do not drink that shot!" Alaric calls out but I just grin cheekily.

******

"Hey, baby. The others are still waiting for you and bombarding me with questions about where you are. Only I know that you're with the dopplebitch. Please be careful around her. I want you back to me in one piece. Call me back soon. Love you." I say into Stefan's voicemail.

Damon is constantly questioning me on where his brother is but I just lie and say I don't know. But I do. He's with Kathrine, trying to find out what she's doing back in Mystic Falls and to warn her. I know Damon doesn't believe me but with Mason here, it's enough to distract him.

"Hey. Where is your man?" Caroline questions as she steps out onto the porch where me and Elena and sitting and talking. "I don't know. He isn't answering my calls or texts." I lie as Caroline grabs some snacks. "God, I cannot stop eating." She says as she starts shoving the food into her mouth. "Stefan says it's a great way to substitute the cravings. Fighting the urge for blood every minute of every day is awful."

"Well, I am really proud of you, Care-Bear." I tell her truthfully. "I know how much Stefan hates that part of himself." I add. "Well, of course. He hates that his girl is a constant temptation." Caroline mentions making me furrow my eyebrows at her. "He said that?" I ask in shock.

"The desire to rip out your jugular every time he is with you? Trust me, it's there." Caroline assures making me look at her skeptically. I know Stefan has told me that my blood is additive but the urge to rip out my jugular? I've never heard him say anything like that before. "It's why I had to break up with Matt."

"Hey, the food's ready. Come and get it!" Alaric announces as he emerges out the front door, nudging my shoulder gently.

******

"Dress! Ballerina! Ballet!" Jenna calls out as Damon scribbles on the paper. After choosing from a bowl filled with suggestions, he did his best to play Pictionary properly, even with his weird drawings. "Puppy! Puppy! Puppy with a tutu?" Caroline questions as she examines the picture.

"If I had a brick, I would throw it at you. You are being so obvious." I say lowly so only Damon could hear me making him roll his eyes at me. "No! Keep guessing." Damon prods, making reckless hand gestures as if it will help the group guess.

"It 'Dances with the Wolves'." Mason suddenly answers and everyone pauses to see if his answer is correct. "Mason wins...again." Damon says, sharing a look with me as I raise my eyebrow knowingly at him. "So obvious." I mouth and he gives me a sarcastic grin.

******

Everyone seems to be enjoying themselves except for me as Damon continuously makes werewolf digs at Mason. Clasping a silver knife and his pie, Damon places it in front of Mason, carefully setting it on the table. "Why don't you start us off, Mason?" He suggests and I shake my head.

"Sure." Mason says without reluctance in his tone but instead of grabbing the knife, he uses his hand to grab a huge portion. Me and Damon furrow our eyebrows at him in suspicion whilst everyone else just looks a little shocked.

"So, Mason, did you and Jenna ever date?" Alaric mumbles, clutching a beer. "Nope, she was obsessed with Logan." Mason answers, making Jenna cringe at the mention of her ex. "Ah, my first mistake." She sighs, clearly scolding herself for getting involved with him. "Mason, however, had girls lining up. He definitely was a catch."

"Really? I always pegged you for a lone wolf." Damon says, making me kick his shin and he winces slightly. "I'm sure I wasn't half the lady killer you were." Mason retorts making me snort as Damon nudges my thigh and he grins at Mason.

'Baby, you okay? How's it going?' I text Stefan only to get no reply making me start to feel worried. I quietly excuse myself and grab my bag, walking to the front door. "Where are you going?" Elena asks, Caroline standing behind her. "I'm going to see Stefan." I tell her.

"Please take me with you. I'm bored." Elena begs and I nod. "You're leaving?" Caroline asks, perking up. "He hasn't got back to me yet." I tell her. "I don't think that's a good idea. Trust me, you don't want to seem like the clingy girlfriend." Caroline replies.

"I'm not being clingy, Care. I'm worried about my boyfriend. You understand that, right?" I ask, a little annoyed. "How about I drive you?" Caroline suggests and I reluctantly agree.

******

"You didn't have to drive us Caroline, but thank you." I say as we drive down the road, heading towards the boarding house. "Here we come, to the rescue." Caroline mumbles with a curt attitude. "Why are you being so snippy?" Elena questions confused from the back seat.

"That's my own drama. I'm sure you will beat the odds. Not that there's any study to pull the odds from. I mean, what is the ratio of success for vampire/human couplings? I'm guessing nil." Caroline babbles. "Okay, Caroline." Elena mutters as I look at Caroline in suspicion.

Suddenly, the car starts to shake making Caroline pull over to the side of the road. The three of us climb out as I groan in frustration. "I'll call a tow truck." Elena says getting her phone out. "I'm gonna walk." I tell them making Caroline shake her head at me. "No! Wait for the tow truck." She says. "I'm not waiting." I tell her firmly before I start to walk down the road.