137. Happy Wife, Happy Life*

Natalie's outfit

Natalie's outfit

Natalie's POV

"Hey, Care. You know when- what are you doing?" I cut myself off as I walk into Caroline's dorm and see her cleaning the fireplace. "Am I seeing right? Wait- am I in the right dorm?" I say sarcastically as I place my English Lit books down on the bed, beside my bag. I had just finished my class this morning, although my notes are very messy because Stefan kept texting me and distracting me.

"Very funny." Caroline grumbles as she stands up from the floor, the cleaning products still in her hands. She awkwardly glances back at the fireplace before giving me a sheepish smile. "Well, you know, all those carcinogens." She mumbles. "Huh?" I question confused, furrowing my eyebrows at her.

"You know, carcinogens." Caroline repeats as if that would help me understand it. "O-Kay." I mumble lowly as I take a seat on her bed, and look around the dorm, seeing it's relatively tidy. "Something is definitely wrong. I'm normally the clean freak out of the two of us so, why have you gone Miss-Sparkle all of a sudden?" I wonder curiously.

"Am I wrong for wanting to live in a nice tidy environment?" Caroline immediately defends herself, crossing her arms over her chest. "No. But you're-" I start to say but Caroline interrupts me. "But nothing, okay?! I wanted to do something nice and clean the room. And before you ask, I'm not stressed. No, I am not sublimating anything. I just wanted to clean." She defends.

"Are you high?" I ask, tiling my head to the side curiously and Caroline throws her hands up in exasperation. "Okay, okay. But after that while speech, you just convinced me how not okay you are." I mumble before I pull my ringing phone out of my pocket, to see Stefan calling. "But I'm gonna let it slide, for now, because my husband's calling." I mumble before answering the call.

"Hi, Hubby." I greet. "Hi, darling." Stefan replies before I hear him take a deep breath. "What's wrong?" I ask. "Baby, I need a favour." He informs making me raise my eyebrow. "You know how Damon was trying to be all noble and broke up with Elena?" He starts. "How could I forget? Caroline was trying to get me drunk at nine in the morning." I reply sarcastically.

I glare up at Caroline who gives me an innocent smile before she turns her attention back to cleaning. "Well, if it was bourbon, you don't need much convincing, darling." Stefan chuckles. "Neither do you or Damon." I reply snarkily making Stefan laugh. "True. Well, I kind of convinced Damon he was an idiot." He admits.

Caroline's eyes widen, proving she's clearly listening to the conversation before she jumps up and drops down next to me on the bed. "You what?!" She exclaims in my ear making me grimace. "Care, super-sensitive-hearing, remember?" I utter sarcastically. "Sorry." She whispers sheepishly before I remove my phone from my ear and put it on speaker.

"And now he's in a bit of a mood, and something tells me that he's been trying to get ahold of Elena, but she hasn't been returning his phone calls." Stefan explains and before I can answer, Caroline beats me to it. "Look, we would love to help if we thought he was actually good for her, but we don't." She replies with an attitude.