26. Vervain*

Natalie's promise ring

Stefan's POV

As I step up onto the porch of Natalie's house, I hear her and Jenna talking quietly about the adoption making me sigh softly before I reach out and ring the doorbell. "I've got it." I hear Natalie murmur before she walks towards the door, pulling it open and a small smile forms on her lips when she sees me. "Hi." She greets softly. "Hi, baby." I greet back, stepping inside as she opens the door wider.

I lean down and peck her lips softly before Natalie closes the door behind us. "How's Elena?" I wonder and she sighs. "Stormed out early this morning, literally cracked the door frame by how hard she slammed the door. Think she's with Bonnie." She tells me and I nod before she notices the box in my hands. "What's that?" She asks curiously.

"I brought you guys some vervain." I tell her lowly, being careful Jenna doesn't hear us as she's still in the kitchen and she nods. "Hi, Stefan!" Jenna calls out in greeting. "Hi, Jenna." I call back as Jenna peaks her head around the corner. "Door open." She warns Natalie who rolls her eyes. "I don't like my door open, so no." She replies stubbornly before turning towards the stairs.

I give Jenna a small smile before following behind Natalie as we walk up to her room. She closes the door behind us and locks it before we both sit down on her bed. "You know I don't need vervain, right?" Natalie reminds me and I nod. "I know, but you can't be too careful. And it would make me feel better if my girl's extra safe." I utter making her smile.

"Okay. So, whatcha got?" She wonders and I chuckle, placing the box down on her sheets. "Well, yours isn't in here." I tell her before I pull a small box out from my pocket. "Are you proposing?" She jokes and I chuckle. "Not yet." I promise and Natalie raises her eyebrow at me. "Wow! You are confident we're gonna last that long, huh?" She asks and I nod.

"You're never leaving me." I state possessively and I see her shiver making me smirk. I open the box to reveal a small black diamond ring that I had vervain melted into as Natalie gasps lowly. "It's got vervain already in it, and it's also a promise ring. That, no matter what happens, I'm always going to be yours." I promise her.

"I love it. It's beautiful." Natalie whispers and I smile, taking it out of the box before placing it on her right-handing finger. "I've got a few bracelets for Jenna, Jeremy and I made Caroline one." I tell her. "Thank you. I really appreciate it." She replies gratefully. "I know how important they are to you, so I don't want them getting hurt." I utter and she nods.

"I take it this is for Elena?" She asks, nodding at a blue necklace and I nod. "Yeah, figured she'd like it." I mutter. "Yeah, she will. Or maybe not if she knows it's from you." Natalie jokes and I chuckle. "Well, then you can give it to her." I whisper making Natalie chuckle before she reaches over to her bedside table and pulls open her drawer, grabbing a rectangular jewellery box.